trailer carpet

kannuki

Seaman
ok this may be a dumb question but im looking to replace the carpet on my traler and was wondering how i could do it without have the boat off any suggestions?

D

DJ

Re: trailer carpet

kannuki,<br /><br />You will have to jack up the boat. A tricky operation at best.<br /><br />I would suggest:<br /><br />1. Buy new boards-cheap.<br />2. Attach the carpet.<br />3. Take the boat to the ramp and replace them there. You will be able to do two in about 10 minutes. Just take the necessary tools and a cordless drill with you. I would also suggest stainless fasteners.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any way you can launch the boat and just dock it then go back home and work on the trailer?

kannuki

Seaman

thanks djohns thought about that one maybe ill try it. <br /><br />
Is there any way you can launch the boat and just dock it then go back home and work on the trailer
nearest lake to me is 45 minutes away wouldwant to leave it there that long<br />thanks anyway

PaulHolcomb

Cadet

Stainless fasteners are a good choice, but my opinion would be only in freshwater use only. They have a tendacy still of rusting, especially in the threads of the nut's and bolt's. This might also take you longer to remove the old ones. With the necessary tools you take, I suggest some WD-40 or other penetrating oil to help losen the bolts.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never had to replace bunks/carpet (yet :( ), so this might be way off. But, if the existing bolts/nuts look pretty rusted, would it help to spray them good with WD40 and try to break them loose before heading to the lake. In other words, get them to loosen while at home with more/better tools. Only problems I can think of are 1) breaking bolt 2) nut backing off on way to lake. Even if bolt did break off, you could put new bolt in for the ride to lake. Just trying to think of something to make work once at the lake easier. Also, might need a temporary jack stand under bunk while working at home.<br /><br />BL...

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am in the process of adding some trialer slicks to my bunks. For the time and costs involved and the reported improvement in launching/loading this would be less time involved and an improved product. Just an alternative.