Mechanical Emergency Toolkit--Necessary?

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I?ve read a lot on this site about the need to always have a tool kit on board for a mechanical emergency. I?ve read debates on what exactly one should carry for such an emergency. Spark plugs. A spare prop. A set of wrenches. Gas filter. Oil, etc.

I?m wondering whether any of you have had the need to use your emergency repair kit while on the water. And more specifically, whether having that kit and those parts made the difference between you making it back under your own power or perhaps needing a tow.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mechanical Emergency Toolkit--Necessary?

Well, it is very highly recommended to keep a set of tools on the boat. I carry wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers, pliers, spare wiring, fuses, an extra plug, need to get a set of jumper cables as I only have one battery, and that's about it. I don't worry with a spare prop, because I boat in the same waters repeatedly, and do not run the risk of running aground or hitting submerged objects (well, at least I like to think so). Some people say carry a spare impeller, but it's already enough of a pita to change it on land, much less in the water. Also, how would you drain and collect the gear lube, as well as refill it?

The tools I do carry have helped me many times: when my ignition went bad, a friend lost reverse, clogged fuel lines (we were able to blow them out), the alternator support bracket came loose, and of course, a fellow boater at the ramp forgot his plug at home, I didn't want to ruin his and his son's planned day of fishing, so I gave him one of my spares. I would definitely recommend carrying the above listed items at the bare minimum, and if I had room, I probably would carry a spare prop, just in case.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, did you buy a boat yet? I noticed you have started many threads regarding boats, cost of ownership, maintenance, etc, and that was a while ago. Have you gotten one yet? Still considering it? Looking for the right one? What's the deal, man?:rolleyes: Just go ahead and get one, you want the quick analysis: yes they are expensive to maintain, and boats are very moody. Do not get caught looking at other boats, as boats tend to do more harm than a significant other catching you looking at another girl. They will leave you stranded where you stand.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Depends entirely on your mechanical ability and what you're willing to do on the water. Carry as many tools and you're comfortable using. You can't plan for everything. I take a set of sockets, a set of wrenches, pliers, vice grips, a few screw drivers. But I'm not often boating too far off the beaten path. I'm usually on the river where a failure just means I need to drift to shore and walk to the store.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I carry pretty much the same kit as ShaneCarroll plus a spare prop, prop nut and cotter key. Most of my boating is done in waters where there is a real possibility of striking something either floating or stationary under the water. Also, I'm often a long way from my camp or the boat ramp.

I have used my tools a few times, mostly for non emergency situations. However, on one occasion, I lost a blade off my prop about twenty five miles up a river in Mexico from the nearest village at a time when no one else was likely to come by until the next day at the earliest. I'm sure I could have made it in on the remaining two blades but I'm equally sure it would have been a slow, vibrating (if that's the right word) journey. As it was, I pulled over to the bank, changed the prop, and was on my way within a few minutes.

My boat is only a fourteen foot Mirrocraft aluminum V hull fishing boat with a 30 Horse motor. If worst comes to worst I can always rope start it, so I don't worry about jumper cables.

Oh yeah, I also carry a small assortment of nuts and bolts plus electrical tape and masking tape, both usable for a number of different things.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some people say carry a spare impeller, but it's already enough of a pita to change it on land, much less in the water. Also, how would you drain and collect the gear lube, as well as refill it?
They may be talking about inboard engines. The impellers on my two inboards are mounted to the front of the engines and driven by belts ... which reminds me ... I should probably carry some spare belts. ;)

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

absolutely carry tools--have used mine several times this year to change out prop or fouled plugs and also to make minor adjustments

robert graham

Admiral

I keep tools and all items needed for repairs in a waterproof plastic box in the back of the boat next to the battery. Much better to "have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". I mean where else are you going to keep your "boat stuff", hopefully not back home in your garage. Good Luck!

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW, did you buy a boat yet? I noticed you have started many threads regarding boats, cost of ownership, maintenance, etc, and that was a while ago. Have you gotten one yet? Still considering it? Looking for the right one? What's the deal, man?:rolleyes: Just go ahead and get one, you want the quick analysis: yes they are expensive to maintain, and boats are very moody. Do not get caught looking at other boats, as boats tend to do more harm than a significant other catching you looking at another girl. They will leave you stranded where you stand.

Shane, the short answer is no. I'm still a boatless boater. The exact how and why I find myself still without a boat is a subject for a longer, more detailed post. Suffice it to say that it hasn't been from lack of trying.

Thanks for asking.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Even if you pick up a cheapy 50 piece from walmart or similar. One of the "all in one" type kits they are packaged well not too big and you at least have something. Nothing more frustrating than having to be towed or flag someone down because you didn't have a wrench,screwdriver,etc. You carry a spare tire and means to change it in your car don't you? a boat is no different imo.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it necessary? No. Do I carry one? Yes. Have I used it to save the day? No. But I use the tools often for on-the-spot minor jobs that add up to a well-maintained boat, so I lessen the possibility of having to "save the day".

I also carry spare bulbs for the nav lights, spare fuses and electrical tools and connectors.

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it necessary? No. Do I carry one? Yes. Have I used it to save the day? No. But I use the tools often for on-the-spot minor jobs that add up to a well-maintained boat, so I lessen the possibility of having to "save the day".

Interesting post, Four. That really gets to the meat of my question, whether or not the toolbox is the medium through which you make it back to base. And not having the box would mean you'd be stranded, looking forlorn and waiting for a tow.

So yes, the more intriguing part of the question is not whether the toolbox is necessary but has the toolbox ever, "Saved the Day"?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Tool box, definet yes, saved the day yes, carry spare parts yes
Had two spark plugs go on me in the same afternoon, motor ran really rough it was a good thing we carry spares and had the tools or that long weekend would have been a waste.
rob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you boat where there are crab traps.....having a pair of wire cutters with you is absolutely essential.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Ah, crab traps are a nuisance. After fighting with one on my prop for a half hour one day, one of my friends taught me a great, very valuable lesson. Here I am, cussing, sweating, getting ready to chuck tools into the water and all he did was ask me a simple question, "Why don't you just take the prop off?" I dismissed his idea for a couple minutes, then I thought about it, took the prop off, and the crab trap slid right off! I guess it is always best to sit back and assess a situation before acting, I could have saved a bunch of time, as well as a pair of pliers by doing that.:redface:

Y-Guy

Seaman

Besides our new boat we have 4 ATVs and a motor home, I carry tool sets for each of those. For the ATVs I know which parts are replaceable on the trails and carry those sockets that I need, not extras. I carry spare parts, oil and others. Takes some time to figure out what you need to carry but its worth it. I generally pick up the tools I need at Harbor Freight or find a garage sale (if you find an older estate you can get some great tools). I package all my parts and tools I don't use often in vacuum bags to keep them from rusting. For parts I make sure the tags show so I know before I rip one open. Yes its a bit AR but I've found out the hard way what its like without the right parts/tools before.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ah, crab traps are a nuisance. After fighting with one on my prop for a half hour one day, one of my friends taught me a great, very valuable lesson. Here I am, cussing, sweating, getting ready to chuck tools into the water and all he did was ask me a simple question, "Why don't you just take the prop off?" I dismissed his idea for a couple minutes, then I thought about it, took the prop off, and the crab trap slid right off! I guess it is always best to sit back and assess a situation before acting, I could have saved a bunch of time, as well as a pair of pliers by doing that.:redface:

We hit one with a rental pontoon boat once. No tools onboard whatsoever. Fortunately we were able to tilt the motor up and get it untangled and off the prop with little difficulty. Could have been an ugly situation. I happened to be standing up and moving to another seat when we hit it. It felt like we smacked into a brick wall. The trap was old and rusty and had obviously been down there a while.

91whitestang

Seaman Apprentice

Even if you pick up a cheapy 50 piece from walmart or similar. One of the "all in one" type kits they are packaged well not too big and you at least have something. Nothing more frustrating than having to be towed or flag someone down because you didn't have a wrench,screwdriver,etc. You carry a spare tire and means to change it in your car don't you? a boat is no different imo.

I'd agree with you, you can relatively pick up a cheap tool set at walmart or something the has a case even and such for not that much and has a wide assortment of tools. I'm new to the whole boating world, but that was one of my first buys, and of course I bring a extra prop along just incase. The one day you don't think you'll need it, will be the last day you will leave home without one.

45Auto

Commander

I keep a socket set and basic tools (adjustable wrench, multi-meter, pliers, screwdrivers, etc) on both my boats. They haven't "saved the day" for me yet, but I can't count the number of times I've had to loan them out to someone else on the water to "save the day" for them!

I figure it's like having a spare tire for the truck and boat trailer. I may never need them, but they'll sure be nice to have if I do!

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Swiss army knife saved the day my first day on my new boat. loose coolant hose clamp and two lost screws on the bimini frame that got emergency borrowed from the dash to keep that together. now i have your common set of tools and some electrical connectors test light and wire. fuses bungee cords and assorted stainless hardware.