How big a project to replace OMC stringer outdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommays

Admiral
Re: How big a project to replace OMC stringer outdrive?

we dont worry about them here the salt killed them all in there first few years except for the trailed ones :)

Tommays

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I just like the classics.
I bought mine 2 years ago, pulled maintenance on it,Tune up, Sea water pump ect.So far so good. Really not that hard to work on with a manual. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.
I hope no one throws the dreaded "Triple pecker pigon curse" on it. :%
Beef

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

would a cobra drive be a charcoal metalic anchor?8)

I wish the cobra was as simple to work on as the stringer!
But with my trusty factory service manual its getting better(thanks to all the help some of you give)

whywhyzed

Banned

Gary said:
would a cobra drive be a charcoal metalic anchor?8)

Cobra is the "hey c'mon back, look - it's just like a Merc..see...(fool)" drive

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

WOW!! I had no idea I would start such a fun thread! Thanks for all of the advice, guys, and the entertainment.

Tie one on, this sounds great. . . . . you're hired!!! 8)
But seriously though, the transom work doesn't sound all that bad. I assume you had to change out all of your controls and stuff too for the new Volvo? I imagine this got pretty expensive, even though you were doing the work yourself? Still, nice to know for sure exactly what you have, and that it is all brand new. I'm just really sold on the layout of the cockpit and "fishy" looks of this particular old Tiara design. It is the early-mid 80's Tiara 2500 Cuddy - not the late 70's Vacationer or the Continental (those are nice, but don't look quite as fishable to me).

Thanks again, and feel free to keep the banter going! For some reason, the auto notifications of replies aren't coming to me.

Bondo

Staff member

But seriously though, the transom work doesn't sound all that bad. I assume you had to change out all of your controls and stuff too for the new Volvo? I imagine this got pretty expensive, even though you were doing the work yourself?

Seriously,........

The Only Way to do what you want to do,... Reasonably Economically,....
Is to go Buy another boat that has the Exact Driveline, in the Condition that you want, to install in your chosen Hull........
In other words,.....
Ya Gotta Buy a Donor Boat,+ Junk it...........

I'm in a Project Hull that I'm Piecing Together,.......
I'll have Atleast a BiZillion Dollar$ or 2 into it before I ever Splash it,......
But,... It keeps me out of the Bars,+ since I quit Drinking, I Gotta Waste my Money Somewheres.......

Some of the Refits I'm involved with were done with Brand New out of the Box stuff,.....
And when their Done,.....
Well, lets just say that these 30 year old hulls become Brand New Boats.......

Some of the others have been done with Donor Boats,....
1 was a pretty nice mid-90s 4Winns,... Was Ashame to Saw-Zal it to Bits,..... But at less than $4000.00,... It was an easy way to power up with a SBC/ Alpha II......As a Turn-key Donor, ALL the Little stuff is there too.....

Unless You're Richer than God,...... A Donor Boat is the Only way to Go.............:love:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Looking for a donor?

Check out insurance auctions - On road accidents are pretty comon. Lotsa ugly hull damage, but the engines/drives usually survive.

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey farginicehole2, I'd do another one in a heart beat (provided the structure of the boat id good). It really wasn't that bad, but as with any project I do, I tried to think everything through in the beginning.
As far a finances, I paid $9200 (delivered) for the engine package (included engine, transon shield, out drive, prop, steering helm & shifter) (had to order cables after the install). Sold my our engine & outdrive for $1000 a piece. So I had $7200 in 23' hard top fishing boat that I caught hundreds of pounds of walleye over five trouble free years. To me, It was worth it. Sold the boat for $4300.
One thing I hate about this site is you asked a question and I was the only one that answered your question. So many times I'll see posts that go a drift from the original question. Okay- okay, I'll get off my soap box.
Any way, if you'd like more information, perhaps we can talk by phone so I can give you as much detail as possible.
Good luck if you decide to go forward.

Bondo

Staff member

tie_one_on said:
Hey farginicehole2, One thing I hate about this site is you asked a question and I was the only one that answered your question.

?.?.?.??

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

tie_one_on said:
One thing I hate about this site is you asked a question and I was the only one that answered your question.

I've been warned by a few of you on this forum to stay away from the OMC stringer. Thanks!

Looks like he was asking for opinions also. I enjoy that part of this board. Views from all sides.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Hey thanks again, guys! Tie one on, that is some great info and really has me thinking (uhh ohh!!). And Bond-o's recommendation about finding a donor sounds like good advice too. If I can find a good hull cheap enough, I would probably consider putting all new stuff in. A fuel-injected motor would be nice!

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Lyndy, it's all good! I enjoy it too. . . . kinda like a bunch of guys hanging out, shooting the $hit and having a good time.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

As I see quite often on this Board:

Ayuh, .....

whywhyzed

Banned

tie_one_on said:
One thing I hate about this site is you asked a question and I was the only one that answered your question.

Hate? You hate this site?

As far as I'm concerned, I answered the question just fine with my first post. I've done some transom work so I offered my opinion and a few facts.

Was your post better? Yes. Your post was excellent, and contained the best info on this subject.

We don't have a crystal ball that says someone will be along shortly who has done that particular job, so we offer what we know. Maybe even some comedic relief.

You need to get off your high horse. Collectively, there's someone at this board who has done just about everything at some point in time. This was your time to shine. No need to try to dull our luster with it.

Your answer might be worse than mine someday.

KaGee

Admiral

Well, all arguments aside, I wouldn't do anything to a hull unless I was sure that it was the ride and fit I wanted.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

amen to that, the conversion would be my last resort, I would try to find another boat first

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I think the question is, do you want to go boating, or have a project, to me, if you have another smaller boat to run for fun, and you don't mind the time and work, it could be a satisfying thing to do, if you are not frustrated by not being able to use it....
as far as buying OMC stuff, I have a Cobra and while I have not had any trouble getting parts or service, I guess it's only a matter of time...if I still want to run this boat then, I will either do a Volvo SX conversion, or find a donor boat and convert it to all Merc. The Volvo conversion for the Cobra is actually less labor by far but probably more expensive up front.

hello fellow boaters, I'm a proud new owner of a 1983 16 foot thundercraft fish and ski with a 140 h.p. inline 4 cylinder and it has a omc stringer drive model # 982486 on it, I thought I was getting a good deal when I only gave 900 dollars for the boat and trailer. I'm now tring to take the drive apart and maybe rebuild the upper gearcase. My ? to you all is what is the easiest way to unhook the electric shift cable from the drive? I hope I can be out on the water sooon and not here chatting and reading this, lol and does anyone know where I could find a new (used) upperunit for mine for a cheaper price than a rebuid on it, please help

Bondo

Staff member

I'm a proud new owner of a 1983 16 foot thundercraft fish and ski with a 140 h.p. inline 4 cylinder and it has a omc stringer drive

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.....

I'm sorry to hear the News,......

The way We like to do this question asking here at iboats is,....

You start a New Thread with all the Info you can provide about Your boat,...
And everybody else will try to provide the Answers.....

You'll get much Better replies that way,...
Instead of bringing up these Very Old threads, about Somebodyelse's Problem,
Rather than Your's.......

sorry I'm new at this posting on a forum thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.