Stupid trailer question

pfunk42

Cadet
I don't own a boat yet and have never needed to tow anything. I'm thinking about it though and while thinking about the list of realities of it, I wondered about how I'm supposed to get gas when towing a boat.

If there's nothing around but a normal small gas station or similar, do you just suck it up and potentially block people/pumps while you get gas? I'd hate myself.

Do you do park somewhere off to the side if possible and do it all through tanks?

Do you plan a route ahead of time specifically around places to get gas more suited to trailers?

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stupid trailer question

Not only do I block two pumps, I use both of them. And I gotta be real tight to the pumps cause the filler necks are on opposite sides. It's usually easier to stretch the hose between the jeep and trailer than to drag the hose over the boat. I use a card though and am usually in and out in only 5 or 10 minutes. If we need drinks or snacks, they can go get them while I fuel up, then I'll get out of the way to wait.
But, yeah if someone's going to stand around and chit-chat or shop or whatever while blocking the pumps........That's not cool.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I live in SoCal and there are plenty of larger gas stations available. if I am just fueling the boat, I wait my turn and pull up past the last pump available and align the boat tank with the pump. This leaves the other pump behind me open for someone else. If I am filling both the tow vehicle and boat sometimes I can align the vehicle tank with the last pump and the boat tank with the pump behind and do both at the same time. Again tho, this is at larger stations with multiple pumps. Guess the best advice would be to plan where and when to get gas and try do it without blocking too many other pumps. But, if it is a small station, I'd wait my turn, do my best to be quick and not worry about it. You are entitled to gass up like anyone else whether its a boat or a car. Politeness / common sense are the keys in my opinion.
Good luck when you get the boat!

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

Where I pump there is one pump per drive thru. I pump at Murphys (Walmart). I pull up to fill the truck, and then pull up again to fill the boat. I take up alot of space and block some people in sometimes while waiting for my pump ( only one pump has gas and diesel ). Sure I get looks, but diesel pumps around here are not common.

While the truck is getting diesel, the blowers come on, engine hatch is opened, and boat gas cap comes off. By the time the truck is full, the blowers are on long enough to pull up and gas up the boat. I keep moving and look busy but it takes a while to fill the boat and people give me looks. Or maybe there looking at the boat. :)

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont worry about it! if you need gas you need gas
if they are in that big of a hurry they should have left yesterday

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I don't like making people wait on me for anything. However, I take a pretty aggressive approach with the boat. I usually fuel both the truck and the boat, I look for stations that I can get in and out of easily and I sometimes tie up three pumps. One for the truck and two for each side of the boat. Usually just two as I can reach the opposite boat tank from the same pump if I get the trailer just perfect.

I guess it's just part of the deal, I feel like a pretty good customer while the meter is rolling over and over, so I get over it pretty easily. I do like a guy that's concerned about something like that though. I am betting you're kinda okay plus you're thinking this whole deal through. Wait 'til you ponder launch ramp etiquette :eek:

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pull up to my gas tanks on the farm and fill it. No problem, no sweat, no other people.:D

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just take up two pumps, but it seems that usually when I go, the gas station isn't that busy, so there are lots of other pumps free for other people to use. Most people seem to be pretty understanding.

jnorswor

Cadet

usually when I fill up, it is early 5-6 am. not so busy at the pumps at that time. try not to get to the station right before standard work start or stop times

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have done both, used one pump and move truck and trailer, and used 2 pumps one for each. in the world we live in, people will get over it. most of the time there are other boater filling up, so we can help each other or chat while waiting. great for tips and other ideas.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... While I won't intentionally block off a whole set of islands,...
But,...
I do take the space I need to do my fill-ups...

After all,..
My money is just as green as the next guy,+ I'm probably leaving a bigger pile of it at the counter...

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take up 2 pumps and I don't care if others have to wait, I'm paying for it just like they are, wait your turn :rolleyes:

and don't try and do something stupid like snake in around me while I waiting for the 2 outside pumps.....I let you know how stupid you are

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually fill the tow vehicle by itself the day before or morning of if the lake is within one tanks range. Then I fill the boat as close to the lake as I can so I am not towing with a full fuel tank in the boat. No need for the extra weight of fuel when towing. When I gas up the boat, I take whatever space is necessary. The boat takes gets the same overpriced gas.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Just find one you can get in and out of. I pull a 24" enclosed trailer everyday for my business, and I can get in/out at most stations. There are some in town that I avoid, or I will get stuck...

As far as blocking people, oh well. I try not to, but sometimes you have no choice. Get your fuel where you can and just try to be as courteous as you can. Does not always work though...

mddubya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fill up both the truck and the boat at the same time. But where I do it at, I'm only one of a couple hundred a day that do so. While I'm waiting in line for the other boats and trucks to fill up, more are coming in behind me. In other words, nobody says anything there.

While I'm filling up, SWMBO runs inside and grabs the food and drinks and ice. If I finish before she get done I pull off to the side and go inside to speed her up, ;)

krakatoa

I take up 2 pumps and I don't care if others have to wait, I'm paying for it just like they are, wait your turn :rolleyes:

and don't try and do something stupid like snake in around me while I waiting for the 2 outside pumps.....I let you know how stupid you are

You`re right! dont be shy to have people waiting, you`re paying too!:)

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

as long as your thinking like you are and asking questions your going to have no problems.
HOWEVER, no matter how good you are, your going to tick off someone at some point.
Be safe, be smart.

I use one pump when the wife is with me. If I'm going alone i fill the truck up the night before on the way home from work. If the boat is low on the way home after a day on the water, i might stop and fill it for the next outing.

Like others have said your paying for it too....

Navy Jr.

I fill up at Costco where they have two pumps per island. The problem is there's a cross road just ahead of the last pump, so I can't pull the boat to the last pump or the truck will be blocking that road (it's all part of Costco). Therefore, all those with a boat at Costco have to take up two pumps.

I'm retired, so I avoid going there during busy times. The last time I went a guy came over to admire the boat and had lots of questions, but as soon as the tank was full, I had to politely excuse myself so I could get out of the way and make room for the lady behind me. He understood completely. Minnesota nice, I guess.

767Captain

Seaman

No problem. The only folks who are jerks are the ones that go inside to pay, come out and fill up, then wash their windshield, then start checking everything out, then check the air pressure in their tires, then go back in to get change and buy a coke, then come out, get in the truck, readjust their seat, adjust the mirrors, drink coke, fill in their little mileage record book, reset the trip odometer, talk to the wife, start the truck, and finally put it in gear and pull out.

When we go to the desert, I pull in, put in ~40 gallons diesel in the truck, 60 gallons of gas in the toyhauler, and get the heck out of the way. THEN I go in and buy ice, a coke, etc.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

don't sweat the small stuff-- I either fill the tow vehicle the day before and then fill the boat after the lake or i fill both at the same time after the lake:D it all works out and is usually not that busy-- I once had to fill up my truck and boat and truck towing a camper--so i had to block 4 bays at once-- it was fun and stressful--was out in 10 minutes:cool: