How many hours can a shop charge for Carb rebuilt?

I just had my Carbs rebuilt on a 2000 Yamaha F100 with 4 carbs.
They charged me 5.5 hours (that is ex diagnose and running etc.)
Is that about right time wise?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: How many hours can a shop charge for Carb rebuilt?

Sounds like a lot of hours for that, but what can you do but pay them? Use Stabil Marine all the time, install a good water/fuel seperator, drain your carbs several times per year(might take 5 minutes) after you learn to do it. These will eliminate most fuel related problems/dirty carbs. Good Luck!

Yeah I already paid, but I am going to complain to the owner anyway, not going back there again.
Do you think it's worth it putting in a fuel shut off and run the carbs dry after every use?

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got charged 1.5 hours for 1 carb

robert graham

Admiral

Drain each carb onto a clean white rag to see what's in it. Use Stabil Marine all the time and install a fuel/water seperator and you'll eliminate most fuel related problems. Good Luck!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have a Suzuki DT115, has 4 carbs. I can pull them all, rebuild them and reinstall in about 3 hours. I am not sure if the setup on the Zuki and the Yami are similar, but in reality, I think they took quite a few smoke breaks while working on your carbs...

robert graham

Admiral

I notice my little Yamaha owners book recommends having the carbs cleaned by the dealer every 50 hours or once a year! So you get raped by the dealer every year and while it's at the shop they can find some "other stuff" that "really needs doing" and you get raped some more. Well the dealers have to eat and make a living too but most of these problems and repairs are avoidable with just a bit of thinking and learning and doing. It's a lot of trouble to hook the boat up and drag it to the shop for several days or weeks to do maintenance or repairs that we could/should have done. Just my opinion! Good Luck!

I agree, I did it myself first , but not good enough, they have an ultrasonic bath that they use, that's why I had them do it, never again though.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I dont know if thats outrageous...I got chargd 4 hours for 3 carbs. I'm sure with a professional operation they have to charge from the second they get the ticket to the time they finish....get to the motor or boat where ever it is....pull them off, do there thing, put them back together, get the boat out of the shop or move it to where ever....they cant just charge you for the actual time sitting at the bench rebuilding. How much faster could he have done it...1 hour less maybe ....do you really want the guy flying through your carbs to save an hours time.

No I want them to do a good job, but at $85 an hour that adds up,
My beef with them was that they gave the boat back with a TPS that was way off, idling at 1400 rpm, and a dirty fuel filter.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

if they would only rebuild the carbs and put them back on they should be done in about 3 hours.

but theu will have to make shure your fuel system is clean as wel change all filters check a sample from your fuel tank and last but not least launch the boat and baytest it. make shure it runs the way is should.
some carbs need to be balanced some have a tps that needs to be set some need a link and sync.
some have needles that need to be adjusted.

than they wil have to clean the boat and put it back on the trailer.

so 5 hourst to rebuild 4 carbs and do a GOOD PROFESSIONAL job i think 5 hours is justified.

i think actualy the flat rate for most carbs are 1.5hr per carb including a diagnose.

reeldutch

if they would only rebuild the carbs and put them back on they should be done in about 3 hours.

but theu will have to make shure your fuel system is clean as wel change all filters check a sample from your fuel tank and last but not least launch the boat and baytest it. make shure it runs the way is should.
some carbs need to be balanced some have a tps that needs to be set some need a link and sync.
some have needles that need to be adjusted.

than they wil have to clean the boat and put it back on the trailer.

so 5 hourst to rebuild 4 carbs and do a GOOD PROFESSIONAL job i think 5 hours is justified.

i think actualy the flat rate for most carbs are 1.5hr per carb including a diagnose.

reeldutch

I would have gladly paid that if that's what they did........

robert graham

Admiral

With clean, fresh, stabilized fuel you really shouldn't need to clean/rebuild carbs, unless they just wear out. And with the 10 and even 2 micron fuel/water seperators and products like Stabil Marine, especially for the fuel injected motors, clean/fresh fuel is attainable. Just my opinion. Good Luck!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

poor lil raped monkey.
do a set of carbs, AFTER I diagnose it is carbs, takes about 3 hours on an f100. longer if water has been sitting in the bowls.
my tech mate set me back 650 dollars and there is NO way you can do the job without it.
tech mate has to be periodically calibrated and eventually replaced.
tooling cost.
with todays fuels all bets are off.
I have done carbs/VST and injectors one week and next week it comes back with another fuel issue from or fine sheet.
todays fuels coulped with tanks over 3 years old and ususlly the fuel line were the cheapest the hull manufacturer or rigger could get means your fuel system will fail in 60 days or less.
how do you know the TPS was off?
I am not a dealer, I make no commision but I do work and eat for something but I have lived and worked in this area for the past 20 years.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm with Rodbolt; with all the fuel related problems a thorough job will require a lot more than merely removnig and replacing. But that's IF they do all they stuff they should.
But this is helpful info; I'll ask what the "book hours" are before they start work.
One reason I'l pay a good professional is that he will likely find something else that needs attention that I wouldn't have known about.
About timing: for you all that clean them quick, how long did it take the first time?
Long ago I got mad when the auto mechanics went to "book hours" and said it was a half hour to change a battery. But if you want to time yourself, don't start when the new battery is on the bench waiting. Start with your going to get the new battery and end when you dispose of the old one. It will get close to 30 minutes to do the whole job.

poor lil raped monkey.
do a set of carbs, AFTER I diagnose it is carbs, takes about 3 hours on an f100. longer if water has been sitting in the bowls.
my tech mate set me back 650 dollars and there is NO way you can do the job without it.
tech mate has to be periodically calibrated and eventually replaced.
tooling cost.
with todays fuels all bets are off.
I have done carbs/VST and injectors one week and next week it comes back with another fuel issue from or fine sheet.
todays fuels coulped with tanks over 3 years old and ususlly the fuel line were the cheapest the hull manufacturer or rigger could get means your fuel system will fail in 60 days or less.
how do you know the TPS was off?
I am not a dealer, I make no commision but I do work and eat for something but I have lived and worked in this area for the past 20 years.

I know the tps was off because I read the manual and actually made the suggested pigtail to measure the different voltages at different throttle settings. The guys that worked on it said they could not do any electronic testing because they did not have the pigtails, I think they should remove the Yamaha banner from that store.
They did not even check the fuel filter , or tank or lines, but charged 2 hours to "run" the motor.This on top of the 5:50 to rebuild carbs.
I live in Tucson btw.

robert graham

Admiral

I've heard that for safety reasons the Coast Guard does not allow for any drains or valves on built-in, under-deck fuel tanks. I can understand that a leaking valve under deck could be a disaster, but if this is so, then it really makes a problem on the fuel/water/ethanol issue since that contaminated fuel ends up in the carbs,pumps,injectors. Any thoughts, ideas or possible solutions on this? Thanks!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

didnt have the pig tails?
how many posts have I preached about finding a dealership with at least a master tech employed and at a minimum with fuel,electrical and 4 strokes certificates on the wall.
and all the pig tails and speacial tools yamaha deems nessasary for essential tooling are sent and billed whether the dealer requests them or not.
either they had the pigtails and no training or they are not an actual yamaha dealership.
its your money but just like auto and appliance repairs not all techs should be in the industry.
but there are no different voltages at different throttle settings, and you are chatting with one of about 60 yamaha master techs.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

hey rodbolt,

i see on my Yamaha master tech list 5 master techs from NC

-pineville
-Wanchese
-Morehead city
-Wilmington
-wrightville

i dont see kittyhawk on the list from the 2009 Marine technical guide.

wich one are you
Reeldutch

im dont want to put there names down just wondering if you are one of those 5.