compression

bjthomas

Recruit
I have a 1978 evinrude 115hp motor and im not getting but 100psi compression on all 4 cylinders.i cannot get it started but i have spark and fuel.I had 120psi of compression the last time it was running i believe.Is 100 psi enough to get it running or not.If not then what might be the problem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: compression

100 is enough, many run there. check your spark, and fuel delivery. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

besure you have a fully charged battery, the starter has to turn the motor +- 300 rpms for it to start.

once started i would do a decarb, and burn the carbon out of the motor, could very possibly raise the compression.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck