Best Rod/Reel combo that wont break the bank

FishingNoob

Recruit
I just went fishing on a boat today and had a blast. The rentals just suck! I'm looking to get into this hobby. Can anyone recommend a good all around rod/reel combo that wont break the bank?:D

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best Rod/Reel combo that wont break the bank

What kind of fishing are you going to do? You can buy a nice Penn spinning rod/reel combo for around $120 or a Penn Senator combo for bigger fish (6/0) for around $180. For inshore a ton of fish have been caught on the $60 Ugly Stick/Shakespeare combos. Go to a sporting goods store and look around, you should find what you need at the price you want to pay.

Cavanaugh68

Cadet

St. Croix and a Shimano Stradic...can not go wrong.

jaymasta

Petty Officer 1st Class

depending on the type of fishing and the type of rod and reel you need will make a differance, but I have always had good luck with shimano, I have had a few of there products all seemed to be of decent quality and last a long time.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, we gotta know what kind of fishing are you doing? From what you mention, I guess you are talking about conventional fishing gear. I have used Penn Senators for their good price, but lately their rods are starting to give me problems. Don't buy a Penn rod with ceramic inserts...they will fall out if hit.
I like what I call stainless spirals, trouble free and provide good line protection. I have also been using Shimano TLD reels and if you shop your local craigslist, you will be surprised at what some people part with them for.
For spinning gear, Cavanaugh mentioned a good rig..but a little pricey..
I still like Shimano spinning gear, the Spheros series are reasonable.

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I asked a similar question a few weeks back. I can tell you dont go cheap. I was buying walmart combo's for 20 bucks and back in illinois when i just did freshwater that was ok but for saltwater i dont know if its the moisture in the air or what but they seem to last about 7 or 8 times fishing and they lock up even if i would fresh water rinse them i would come back a week later to find them locked up. I have gone to the local tackle shop and they gave me a cheap recommendation for salt that was only about 35bucks and has lasted a while, althought at only 35bucks not sure how long they will last. Triumphrick seems to know his tackle, from the sounds of it he does a lot of tackle repair so i have taken his opinion and am looking for his recommendations. You could look at my post its in this forum i think its titled similar to yours i think. Penn, Diawa, and shimano were everyones top choices i think.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

For bottom fishing and trolling, go with the Penn Senator combo in 4/0 or 6/0. This reel has been around for years and you can get parts and repair in just about every city in the world close to salt water and fresh. For spinners it's preference now that Shimano has taken a lot of wind out of Penn's sail. I'm still using Penn spinning reels 30 years later, and much of that time was spent fishing salt.

With tackle always buy the best you can afford and take reel:D good care of it.
Luck ya'll

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got a Penn Long Beach 60 (remember those?) that I have been using for about 25 years now, exclusively saltwater. Thing still feels smooth as glass....

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

For salt water light duty: Shimano spinning reels. For heavy duty: Penns. You can find different price ranges in both makes.

Ryanhdd

Cadet

I have to say I love my Shimano Baitrunner 3500 got it for 88 bucks shipped. I also paired it with a st croix Tidemaster medium. Love it. I did not believe the hype on a nice rod, but it changes things, im telling you. and you cannot beat a baitrunner. I usaully only inshore, this is a great inshore seat up.
its a light reel and big enough but not too small. You can cast all day.

I second "take real good care of it" it makes a difference.

Bifflefan

Commander

Everyone seems to agree that the Shimano Baitrunneris a good deal.

Well let me be the spoiler.... I cant stand them,
Shimano in general that is.
I have one hanging on the wall in the garage that i let the the kids play with and if they break it... Well good ridin's to bad rubbish...

I have a 40.00 Gander Mountain special that is wonderful. i bought the rod and reel package, for what i use it for i couldnt ask for better.

Ryanhdd

Cadet

I have one hanging on the wall in the garage that i let the the kids play with and if they break it... Well good ridin's to bad rubbish...

Sweet

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 40.00 Gander Mountain special that is wonderful. i bought the rod and reel package, for what i use it for i couldnt ask for better.

What don't you like about them specifically? If you fish freshwater or don't fish very often I agree that a $40 gander mountain combo is probably fine, but there is no way that it will last as long as a shimano. Simple fact.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

For what it's worth, the OP was looking to get a little info on conventional gear he can use the next time out on a party boat. Take your gander hill stuff out there and get laughed back in to the dock....

I am out several days a week fishing hard for healthy bottom fish, shark, cobia, kingfish, and big mackeral. None of the cheap stuff lasts out here. Even if all you fish is a pond, good gear lasts year after year.
I repair this gear, as well as wrap new rods.Pretty much what you hear is true...don't waste your time and money on cheap gear and expect it to last or function when you really need it. Nothing like shelling out $100 or more to make a trip and have your gear crap out....