Doelfins Effect On Small 14 Foot Boat

davio47

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 14 foot aluminum V with a 8 hp outboard on it . The motor I have came with a set of Doelfins. I have ran it without them on and it goes just nice. However, I do some splashing back of water from the shaft area at WOT. I was thinking of putting the Doelfins back on to see what effect it would have on the splash-back issue.

What effect would the Doelfins have on the running and turning performance of the boat if I put them on? Would it make the boat handle differently or would it be to responsive at WOT? Would it have no effect at all? Let me know if you have any thoughts on this. Thanks.:)

Attachments

• Noxontown crappie1.jpg
    Noxontown crappie1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Doelfins Effect On Small 14 Foot Boat

There will no doubt be a difference, good or bad depends on the variables, weight distribution and motor tilt are the biggies.

davio47

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to give it a try in the morning just to see what the effects are. I just hope it doesn't make it unstable. I will let you know. Thanks:):)

davio47

Seaman Apprentice

Took the boat out this morning in the tidal marsh and did a little cat-fishing. Caught 3 nice ones. Anyway, the boat handled beautifully with the Doelfins on. It was very stable, handled and turned like on a rail. That was all good. It still didn't solve my splash-back issue at WOT. I will leave the Doelfins on though, I liked the way the boat handled. It did seem to lose a little top end. My back-splash issue will be another post. Thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• 0919091059.jpg
    0919091059.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

where is cavitation plate in relation to bottom of transom? to me it sounds like motor should be higher on transom. motor mounted to low will create this also create uneeded drag.

davio47

Seaman Apprentice

You are right in your assessment on that. The cavitation plate is 2.5" below the transom, thus creating my back-splash issue. The motor is a short shaft but is slightly longer than the standard 15". I most likely need to build up the transom height or get another boat. Thanks for the response. :) :)