Johnson 15 dies at idle

mek07c

Cadet
Johnson model J15REDG dies while idling but at WOT runs perfectly. Does this sound like the carburetor is fouled up or can the idle be adjusted? The guy I bought it from said he rebuilt the carb but it has sat up in his garage. What do you think?

Patate

Seaman
Re: Johnson 15 dies at idle

Same symptom with mine, CJ15RCEC, it sometime, it stops when idling after running at wot, but restarts well and cand run idle four hours, i dont know if it's a carburetor or spark problem (I did never rebuilt the carb... :-/ )
I'm listening on advices too !

Rick.

Captain

mek07c: You can adjust your slow speed lean rich knob to make it idle smoother but not really faster. It sounds to me as though your slow speed gas circuit is plugged which means tearing down the carb and giving it a good cleaning. That is assuming you have checked for spark on both cylinders. Best of luck. Rick.

jay mendoza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if the low speed throttle adjustment is set a bit too low, or the low speed mixture is slightly off, it will do what you are describing. Try either turning up the idle speed slightly, or ever so slightly adjusting the low speed mixture screw.