1983 Johnson Wont go over 2200 rmp in gear only when in the water.

padleout

Cadet
Okay, so my 115hp johnson motor runs great and idles okay out of the water with the hose and suction cup thing after warmed up.but in the water not so much. it cant get past 2200 rpm in gear. but i just bought it a week ago and have tried taking it out 3 times, the first time it ran great for about 3-4 min. the bogged down and wont go past 2200 rpm. i called the guy i bought it from he metioned last time he filled it up he put regular 2 cycle oil in it. so i replaced that with marine oil and cleaned the cyclinders and spark plugs as much as i could about 3 or 4 times. it still does the same thing. Do you guys have any ideas that wont break my wallet? thanks

-Josh

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Johnson Wont go over 2200 rmp in gear only when in the water.

You need to start with a basic health check of your motor if you did not do that before you bought it.
Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition
Water pump functionality

Post your results.
Use the "Top Secret Files" at the top of page 1 for info on how to perform the checks if you need to.

padleout

Cadet

okay i will and ill let you know how it does

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you just get this motor ???
What is your history with it ??

padleout

Cadet

yes i did just get this motor when i boat an 1983 cvx 16 glastron carlson about two weeks ago. the guy said it sat for about a yr and he ran it the week befor i bought it with regualar 2 cycle oil. like weed wacker oil.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Missed the fact you just got it in your first post.
Regular 2 stroke oil should not do any lasting damage if it was used briefly and in the correct ratio.
Do the health check.

padleout

Cadet

okay thank you thats good to know. i as soon as i try it out after the health check ill update