1986 Bayliner 1850 Capri Volvo AQ131A

rcdriver11

Cadet
Someone please help I bought the boat a couple years ago I changed plugs wires cap rotor points and coil. Seems like I have to adjust my points every other time I go out. And have had to replace them about 6 times since.
A couple times I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start checked for spark and couldn't find any, from plug wires or coil. After a while I got it to start and it ran great for a few trips. Then same thing. adjust or replace points and it runs great. Last week I went out and ran good but seemed to have slight miss only once in a while. Then went to go out yesterday, backed down the ramp, started the boat with no problem. Let it run at 1/4 throttle for a couple minutes to warm the engine as it is older and a little cold blooded.
When I pulled the throttle back to idle off the trailer the motor died. Then it would not start again. I looked for spark and couldn't find any. After an hour messing with it trying to adjust points, and find spark, I gave up.
This morning went out and tried it. It fired right up but I shut it off as I had no water going to it. Tried to crank it again and would not fire. Now I don't find spark. Any Ideas????

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Bayliner 1850 Capri Volvo AQ131A

when it is running does your coil get very hot? also i would check the dist shaft for side play?

captmello

Captain

Did you change the condenser. Most likely.

Do the points look pitted, burnt?

Check your connections at the coil.

rcdriver11

Cadet

Yes I changed the condensor about 4 trips ago. My trips generally consist of about 6 hours of trolling at idle 3 out of 4. 1 of the 4 is usually pulling the kids around on the ski or tubes for 3 or 4 hours.

I am not sure if the coil is getting hot. I am kind of leaning toward that as the cause but I don't want to just throw money at it and thats my usual troubleshooting method. Thats my big downfall mechanically is I don't troubleshoot well.

Anyway thanks for the replies. Any help with troubleshooting advice is appreciated

rcdriver11

Cadet

Another thing, the points actually look ok. The last set I took off had the plastic piece that rubs on the dist. shaft looked melted but the contacts of the points set look ok

captmello

Captain

Don't go throwing parts at it. Check to see if the coil is getting hot after running a bit like towroper mentioned.

The points should come with some lube to put on the dist. to keep the part rubbing on the dist. shaft from overheating. Are you sure its melting or is it the grease build up?

Have look at this.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335407

Trouble shooting an intermittent problem is tricky. You need to be prepared to do some testing when the symptoms occur.

Keep posting your questions and let us know how it goes.:)

rcdriver11

Cadet

When the points melted there was no doubt. the plastic was in 2 pieces.
I am wondering if the coil is bad

rcdriver11

Cadet

This is starting to irritate me. Just went out in the driveway and fired it up. Seems to run like brand new. Guess I will take it out to the lake and see if I can duplicate the issue with some test equipment

captmello

Captain

I'm wondering about your distributor now. Towroper mentioned that earlier as well.

Pull the rotor off and check for play up down side to side. I know it will throw off your timing, but you may want to pull it and inspect...???

rcdriver11

Cadet

I have looked at the shaft. I does have a bit of play turning it back and forth, just a little. But I could not see any side to side or up and down play at all.
just got back from the lake. Drove wot for 25 to 30 minutes, ran like new. Slowed to idle, ran like new. I was afraid to shut it off and restart it so I let it idle for a while with my fishing pole in the water. I did notice a real slight miss, every few minutes. Other than that it ran like a dream.
once I got back to the ramp I shut it off and it started right back up with no issues.
???????????

I did check the coil for overheating. It was pretty warm but not super hot. Should it get a little hot or would this indicate a potential problem?

captmello

Captain

In your first post you said you replaced the coil. I see others replcaing the coil on there boat. I guess its an easy swap so people do it. It never seems to fix their problems however.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When the engine dies, and you have no spark, check to see if you have power to the + terminal on the coil with the key in the run position.
If not, it's not an engine problem, probably a loose/corroded connection or even an intermittant key switch.

If you don't have power to the coil, then take a jumper wire and hook from battery positive terminal directly to the coil + termanal. That should get you home to find the problem.

captmello

Captain

When the engine dies, and you have no spark, check to see if you have power to the + terminal on the coil with the key in the run position.
If not, it's not an engine problem, probably a loose/corroded connection or even an intermittant key switch.

If you don't have power to the coil, then take a jumper wire and hook from battery positive terminal directly to the coil + termanal. That should get you home to find the problem.

Thats a great thought. On a similar note there is a grey wire from the - side of the coil that feeds the Tach. I've hear of people having issue with the tach or tach wiring causing troubles.

Did you do any work on the boat up by the controls recently?

rcdriver11

Cadet

The only work I have done is on the engine. (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil). Thats not saying the guy I bought it from didn't mess with somethin up there. I really think its something in the ignition system, but I have dealt with it on a small scale since I bought the boat. Seems like I get it figured out then it does it again and I'm back to square one. Last year I think it ran all year. The first year I had the problem, then again this year. It will run great for a few trips, them give me trouble for a couple, so I don't know what to expect when I want to take the family out.

Thre coil is easy to replace but nothing is cheap on these babies