Launching boat from lift in shallow water

mbaza3

Recruit
Hello,

I purchased my first boat a 1988 Sea Ray Seville 18ft bowrider last week. I have a boat lift which is in 3 feet deep water. I backed out of the lift a few times without any issues however last Sunday I was backing up and hit bottom about 20 feet out of the lift. Needless to say I ruined my prop. I am not exactly sure if I should have the trim up high before I back up or have it all the way down. I think I had it trimmed up high when I hit bottom. I have not had any problems pulling into the lift so I am not sure what I am doing wrong when reversing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Launching boat from lift in shallow water

If the water is that shallow you shouldn't back up under power at all.
I'd suggest you pole or row the boat out to water that's at least 3' before lowering the outdrive, then go forward and turn away from shore.
The alternative- get a longer dock! :D
Prop work is expensive- especially if you bend it regularly.

mbaza3

Recruit

Thanks! I am going to move the lift out another 20 ft next year to make it into 4 foot deep water but I am trying to avoid buying another prop this year :)

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mbaza3,

Most stern drives and outboards will operate at idle speed with the drives in a fully raised configuration. With the prop turning at water level (or slightly below) you will got some thrust to hopefully get you out to deeper water. Remember your depth gage usually will not operate when in reverse - so be careful or you could be fixing another prop.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mbaza,

Keep it simple...

Trim down means your prop will be at its deepest point. You don't want that.
Trim up means the prop is near the surface. You want that.

Keeping it at idle speed means the prop won't spin too fast, so it won't bust if it hits something.

Running it faster means the prop will bust if it hits something.

Since you mentioned moving the lift, I'm assuming fresh water, so you are not dealing with tides.

Even with fresh water, the depth can change. Fall/drought season shallow, Spring/rainy season deep.

If there is a particular rock 20' from your lift, either move the rock, or note its location and don't drive over the rock.

If you're not sure about the existence or location of the rock, and it's only 3 feet deep, wade out there and kick around for it, or any other rocks you don't know about yet. Learn the area so you'll know the best route back to your lift, or so you'll be aware of even worse rocks hiding out there.

If you find a bunch of medium sized rocks out there, you may have to make a project of moving them to clear a path to your lift. I had to do that along my pier so I could paddle kayaks to shore at low tide.

Oh, and Welcome to iboats!!!

Jim

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Mbaza,

Keep it simple...

Trim down means your prop will be at its deepest point. You don't want that.
Trim up means the prop is near the surface. You want that.

Keeping it at idle speed means the prop won't spin too fast, so it won't bust if it hits something.

Running it faster means the prop will bust if it hits something.

Since you mentioned moving the lift, I'm assuming fresh water, so you are not dealing with tides.

Even with fresh water, the depth can change. Fall/drought season shallow, Spring/rainy season deep.

If there is a particular rock 20' from your lift, either move the rock, or note its location and don't drive over the rock.

If you're not sure about the existence or location of the rock, and it's only 3 feet deep, wade out there and kick around for it, or any other rocks you don't know about yet. Learn the area so you'll know the best route back to your lift, or so you'll be aware of even worse rocks hiding out there.

Oh, and Welcome to iboats!!!

Absolutely. Good advice. Wade out there and find what you hit, know your boating conditions.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There's just No Way you Wacked the prop in 3 Feet of water,...
Either Move the Rock, which Isn't 3 Feet down, or Don't go there...

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I am going to move the lift out another 20 ft next year to make it into 4 foot deep water but I am trying to avoid buying another prop this year :)
You will do best by having a second prop as a spare.
You can have your damaged props repaired. Check out soderbloom dot com. You will have to change out the word dot for the (.) I personally have not had to deal with this business, been lucky enough as not to damage my primary prop. but have read that several members on here have and have been pleased with the price, turn around time and workmanship.
If you have an electric trolling motor, it would be best to use it while backing away from the lift.