1996 Evinrude Intruder 150 loosing power

ilovefroggin

Cadet
Model # E1506GLECD

A couple weeks ago while buzzing along on Lake champlain in 2-3 footers I suddenly lost rpms and speed. It dropped from 5400 and 52 mph to 4000 and 40ish mph at WOT. At the ramp while waiting to load it was stumbling, sneezing and stalling while idling.

I brought it home and got a compression guage. All cylinders measured between 95 and 105. I checked the wires and reinstalled the plugs. Plugs all looked good to me with the electrodes the same light chocolate brown color. These were also new plugs this year.

Took it out today and it seemed to intermittantly run strong and then run weak. It did Idle much better though. I am thinking I am intermittantly loosing some spark to a cylinder/cylinders. Does this sound like a power pack issue? Or could one spark plug have possibly gone bad? Anything else it may sound like?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1996 Evinrude Intruder 150 loosing power

I'm wondering why you put the sparkplugs back in without checking for spark.

If you have a timing light use that to check for ignition on each hole, but the best way is get a spark GAP tester from the auto part store and set it to 7/16th inch gap and it should jump with a strong blue spark.

If you change all the things it "could" be you'll fix it but probably spend $1000 so do the simple troubleshooting checks and zero in on the problem.

Compression is fine you say, ok do the ignition test next , if that is ok then we'll look at fuel delivery.

SparkieBoat

Captain

did you check your spark on each cylinder??? Spark testers are about $5 and really help diagnose problems.
the next thing is to make sure all of your fuel lines are in good shape and not sucking air..also check any and all Fuel filters..dont forget the one that screws into your VRO pump. Check and make sure you are getting a good fuel spray in each carb...and that none of them are flooding. Make sure your fuel tank vent is open and not closed or clogged. my next suspect would be the fuel pump..
if you are using the VRO to mix your fuel part #5007423..if you are premixing your fuel and bypassing the VRO ( My choice) then get part # 5007422
Boats.net carries them both at a good price.
Good Luck Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

LOL Jones...do we think alike or what...
Sparkie

ilovefroggin

Cadet

I'm wondering why you put the sparkplugs back in without checking for spark.

If you have a timing light use that to check for ignition on each hole, but the best way is get a spark GAP tester from the auto part store and set it to 7/16th inch gap and it should jump with a strong blue spark.

If you change all the things it "could" be you'll fix it but probably spend $1000 so do the simple troubleshooting checks and zero in on the problem.

Compression is fine you say, ok do the ignition test next , if that is ok then we'll look at fuel delivery.

I had suspicions I had a kill switch issue. I had broken the kill switch key the day before and had to rig up a bent up spinnerbait wire to get me through the remaining day and a half of the tournament. When I got a new Kill Switch key and removed the bent up wire I noticed it had become loose and not depressing the kill switch completely. I was hoping that it might have been the root of the problem.

In addition the second reason I didn't check each spark plug is that the electrodes all looked good. I had warmed up the motor before I compression tested it. When I pulled each plug the electrodes were all dry and a consistant light brown color. This indicated top me that all cylinders are getting spark at least some of the time. Coupling that thought with the power loss being intermittant led me to believe that physically checking for spark might be an exercise in futility due to the intermittant nature of the problem.

All fuel lines tank to motor, primer ball, tank selection valve, and anti siphon valves were changed last year in addition to a brand new fuel pump. Pump had been bad but I was chasing the problem myself and figured new fuel lines in a 1989 boat sure could not hurt.

Vents are clear, Oil tank is removed and oil side of VRO blocked off. I premix my gas and oil.

SparkieBoat

Captain

do a spark check..that is your next step..as long as you got the kill switch thing fixed..after that we go to fuel...recheck all lines and connections..check carbs..then check fuel pump.
Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

what fuel pump is brand new??? the on on your motor.. VRO pump or the electric fuel pump near your gas tank??? also make sure the oil fitting on your VRO is not sucking air..I prefer to cap it with a vacuum line cap for a car and put a hose clamp on it. ( rather than sticking a bolt in the end of the hose )
Sparkie

ilovefroggin

Cadet

what fuel pump is brand new??? the on on your motor.. VRO pump or the electric fuel pump near your gas tank??? also make sure the oil fitting on your VRO is not sucking air..I prefer to cap it with a vacuum line cap for a car and put a hose clamp on it. ( rather than sticking a bolt in the end of the hose )
Sparkie

The VRO pump. It was professionally installed by my marine mechanic. But I will look at it.

How should I spark check it? Run it on muffs and pull off one spark plug wire at a time and listen for rpm changes?

SparkieBoat

Captain

you remove all spark plugs then you get a spark tester from your local auto parts store..set the gap at 1/2 inch..you then spin the engine over and check each plug wire..should get a strong blue thick spark..this will detect a bad or weak coil.

jonesg

Admiral

Sparkie is right on, you can't check for ignition spark by looking at the plugs, it needs to jump that wide gap to be certain its till firing under compression.

This is a tripping point for those unfamiliar with outboard ignition.

If you get no spark, disconnect the binacle harness ( big red harness plug) to eliminate the kill circuit from the equation and spark test again by jumping the starter with a length of wire from big positive wire to solenoid, if spark returns you know where the problem is. Kill switch.!:)

ilovefroggin

Cadet

Sparkie is right on, you can't check for ignition spark by looking at the plugs, it needs to jump that wide gap to be certain its till firing under compression.

This is a tripping point for those unfamiliar with outboard ignition.

If you get no spark, disconnect the binacle harness ( big red harness plug) to eliminate the kill circuit from the equation and spark test again by jumping the starter with a length of wire from big positive wire to solenoid, if spark returns you know where the problem is. Kill switch.!:)

Ok you mentioned a using timing light earlier. I do have one. I assume I can put the motor on muffs and then check each plug wire for even pulses at a couple different rpms? If so this will be my plan of attack for tomorrow morning.

Thanks greatly for your help and patience guys!!

ilovefroggin

Cadet

Ok it has been a while. I dont have good gas flow. At idle all wires show spark using the timing gun. compression is good. I still am way down on power.

I have a line on a parted out motor 96 intruder and he has a good power pack and also says he has three good coils. Is that correct for all 96 Intruders that they have 3 dual coils? If so I am thinking of purchase these and see if it makes the difference.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Have you pulled a fuel sample as what you describe sounds like : (A) water in fuel (B) float stuck in a carb(C) shift interupter switch (D) bent float in vapor separator. All the bouncing you did in the 2-3 foots could have forced water into tank vent, jarred a carb float causing it to stick open, damaged shift switch, if switch you will loose 1 bank of fire which you said it is firing on all. Unplug it just for giggles, and if float is off in vapor separator you will not get enough fuel to keep carbs full thus causing it to run lean. If it is a float in carb you should smell and see unburnt fuel rainbow on water surface. Yes your engine only has 3 dual coils.

ilovefroggin

Cadet

Have you pulled a fuel sample as what you describe sounds like : (A) water in fuel (B) float stuck in a carb(C) shift interupter switch. All the bouncing you did in the 2-3 foots could have forced water into tank vent or jarred a float stuck openor damaged shift switch.If switch you will loose 1 bank of fire which you said it is firing on all. Unplug it just for gigglesd. If it is a float you should smell and see unburnt fuel rainbow on water surface. Yes your engine only has 3 dual coils.

Thanks Fazt,

I have not pulled a fuel sample yet. I can do that. But I have dual 18 gallon tanks. It acts exactly the same on both tanks so I would think that basically rules out water in the gas. What are the odds it happend on both sides? Slim to none I would think. I have had the boat in far rougher conditions before and never had problems.

No unburnt fuel on the water.

How do I unplug the shift interupter switch?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Remove cowling and on starboard side of engine you will see 2 wires, black and black with yellow tracer that looks like it comes from underneath carb. Follow it back towards pack and you will see a round plug connector and unplug it there. If it doesnt help look at float in vapor separator to see if out of adjustment.

Attachments

• convert.jpg
    convert.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

ilovefroggin

Cadet

All happy now!!! Installed a new CDI powerpack and 3 new Dual Coils this morning. Easy as pie. Took her out for a spin quick and boy did she jump out of the hole!! I think my powerpack had been dying slowly for a while. Motor even sounded different. It had always been loud almost "rappy" at WOT. Now it sounds like all the other motors sound. Way smoother at all throttle ranges too.

Georgia Watersports got me my parts in two days at prices far below anyone else!!! The Powerpack was 161.00 when everywhere local I called wanted 259.00. Coils were cheap too 24 bucks as opposed to local 45 bucks. They didnt have the CDI coils in stock I linked to but did have Sierra ones that were a little cheaper.

Thank you all for all your help!