Your First Boat

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Let see or hear about your first boat, mine was 1962 18ft Cutter complete with bat wings and a 120hp Chrysler outboard. This picture is the only one I have of this boat and the kid diving off it is my son who is now 30 years old...

Scan89_1.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Your First Boat

1969 and 10 years old. 4 man Gladding inflatable with a 2 hp Yamaha outboard.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Can you re-size that photo a little ??

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

10 foot Blue Bird sailboat. Car topable and easy to set up. Great for me and my 6-year old. Sold it years ago. Son is now 31.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

1978 imperial trihull. Never had it in the water with the merc 700 running, just a trolling motor :(

arks

Lieutenant Commander

1972 Alcort Sunfish bought brand new at the Philadelphia Boat show.
Believe it or not, I just sold it about 3 years ago- and got 900 bucks!

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

14' Valco with 25 Johnson about 1968. Now 13' Boston Whailer with 40 Johnson. There were about six boats in between including a 38' picket boat and 28' patio boat. Funny how our wants and needs change.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I started with a 12 foot LOWE, camouflaged aluminum Jon boat, with green Astroturf on the deck and a 28lb thrust Minn Kota electric trolling motor.

Nice, light, cheap and fun...until some crack head stole it out of my back yard when I was away at Army basic training in Ft. Knox. :mad:

Pissed me off, I still haven't gotten over that one yet and it's been over 20 years now:(

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ah yes, I remember my first boat well...I should because I bought it a year & a half ago and it's the only boat I've ever owned. '71 16' Saf-T-Mate with a 65HP Evinrude. Mustard yellow. I get a lot of looks when I take 'er out on the lakes...but I have no idea if they're thinking "wow, cool looking old boat" or "what's that piece of crep doing out here?" :p

But I really like the old-skool look of my boat. I might upgrade to something a little bigger someday if I ever have money, maybe a bowrider so more people can fit, but I think I'd still keep my old Saf-T-Mate and do a total restore on her one day. Maybe get a bigger motor-- boat's rated up to 100HP and handles real well in the water.

STM_Dock.jpg

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

First boat was a 9' Boston Whaler with a home made sail on a stick and set of oars. I caught many fish on that boat and was freed from many Piano lessons stuck out in the river, lol.

aspeck

Staff member

My first boat was a 12 foot aluminum john boat with a 3.9 merc (circa early 60's). I inherited it when I was 12 and the motor ran great, but the boat had several leaks and wasn't "cool" enough. At 15 (32 years ago) I sold it to a friend's father (who just told me he is still using it) and with the proceeds put a down payment on an Ouachita 15 footer with stick steering and a 40 hp merc. That morphed into the present 15 foot Skeeter bass boat, and now the 19 foot Renkin Sea Master.

At one time in my childhood the family had 4 boats (1 "glass bottom" fishing boat, the aluminum jon, a Slick Craft, and a Harris Pontoon. Guess MBS is just in the genes ... :eek:

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

First boat was a 1978 Aerocraft 12' alum V-bottom with a 1967 McCulloch 7 1/2 horse. Fixed it all up and used it a few years and sold it to purchase my current boat a 1978 17' ProCraft Bass Boat with 85hp Evinrude. Wonder what it is about the 1978 boats I keep getting?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

well, the bayliner i have now is MY first boat...and im 30 now. growing up, we got our first family boat when i was 12, it was a brand new Mariah Talari Z. But, thats long gone now.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

My first boat ride that I can remember was in my grandpa's Starcraft. I need to find a picture of that boat so I can get apply for the Starcraft club. I grew up using a 14' flat bottom john boat with an old 20hp Rude until we upgraded boats.

As for actual ownership, my first boat is a 2007 Kawasaki Ultra 250X jet ski. If that doesn't classify as a boat, then it's the '75 Checkmate V-Mate II with '73 150hp Merc.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a bank loan at 18 to pay for my first boat... $3500 got me a 18 foot 1972 Glastron, with a 80hp Merc 2 Stroke..

Loved that boat, never gave me a minute of trouble... and sealed my fate as a boat addict!

Good memories, never to be forgotten

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My first was a 12' sears jon boat powered by me ;) or my Ted Williams 7.5 outboard. I actually enjoyed rowing that boat.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Growing up in Miami I had a couple of boats but I don't remember which I got first,seems that I got them around the same time 1st was a sailboat that was Styrofoam that my Gramps fiberglass took lessons had a blast with that boat till a hurricane washed it away:( next was a 12 foot Sears john boat with a 7.5 Chrysler that motor started every time great time in the glades with that one :D

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

My first boat brings back fond memories of duck hunts years ago.
When I was eight, in Field and Stream magazine, there was an article in the back on how to build you're own duck blind boat. The sides and benches were pine, and the bottom was galvanized tin tacked and glued above the water line.
My Grandpa helped me build it, and painted it green. (there wasn't camo paint back then.) I later outfitted it with a cheap MinKota trolling motor and an old battery with one dead cell. The boat saw many duck hunts and summer farm pond fishing, and frog hunt expeditions. It was the greatest boat in the world when I was young, and also served my two younger brothers. :rolleyes: