Bearing carrier assy

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, i was changing the oil on the boat yesterday, and general maintenace.

Alpha drive, took the prop off to check and grease everything, took the thrust washer off and found the back, or front of the carrier bearing assy all corroded up from exhaust probably.

I scrapped most of the ugliness off, seems that the assy is a little pitted up, nothing major looking though. Sorry i didnt take pictures, i can if anyone wants to see.

How far can these go before needing replacement. Boat is used in fresh water, going into salt, but coming through fresh on the way back.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bearing carrier assy

Check drive oil for water...other wise it will last a while longer. Personally I remove all these parts periodically just to make sure they come off cleanly.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check drive oil for water...other wise it will last a while longer. Personally I remove all these parts periodically just to make sure they come off cleanly.

Yeah, checked already, no water in drive oil

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK! You're good to go. You'll probably have to replace the bearing carrier sooner or later if it's as bad as it sounds.

TilliamWe

Banned

The short answer is they last as long as they don't let water in the oil.

The long answer is that they can corrode all the way to where the oil seal is actually exposed some. And even then they won't leak. But at some point, when they corrode too far, the seal is compromised and it will begin to let water into the outdrive. But it has to get real ugly before that happens. That type of corrosion doesn't happen over night, it takes years on a freshwater boat, months in saltwater. Unless of course you are at a marina next to a boat that isn't grounded properly, or the docks aren't.

Best thing; repaint it, and make sure your sacrificial anodes are clean and appropriate for the water that you are boating in. Good luck.

45Auto

Commander

You sure it was the bearing carrier all corroded up? There should be an anode bolted to the carrier just forward of the thrust washer. Held on with 2 screws 180 degrees apart. Hopefully that's what you're seeing all corroded up.

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You sure it was the bearing carrier all corroded up? There should be an anode bolted to the carrier just forward of the thrust washer. Held on with 2 screws 180 degrees apart. Hopefully that's what you're seeing all corroded up.

That must be what i was looking at, i thought is was awfully easy to scrape and clean up.

TilliamWe

Banned

45Auto, I didn't think to mention that, because I thought that was too easy.
If it was an anode corroded, it's doing its job. If it's corroded about 1/2 way or you aren't sure what it's really supposed to look like, replace it. That way you know you are in good shape.

TilliamWe

Banned

This is a rear bearing carrier in a Bravo 3. No anode on them. Note it's screwed into the lower unit's housing.

MVC-657F.jpg

MVC-658F.jpg

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

45Auto, I didn't think to mention that, because I thought that was too easy.
If it was an anode corroded, it's doing its job. If it's corroded about 1/2 way or you aren't sure what it's really supposed to look like, replace it. That way you know you are in good shape.

I have never seen one before, but it still looked like it had plenty of material there. I will go get a spare just in case though. Thanks