'76 Evinrude 9.9 HP on 1 cylinder?

dragginfly

Recruit
#1 cylinder works great. Motor starts and runs on one, but #2 cylinder is intermittent and creates a choppy ride up to almost half power. I changed plugs, replaced #2 coil (old one failed ohmmeter test) with some improvement. Still not right. When I rewire the #2 power thru the #1 coil to #2 plug, I can get #2 cylinder to fire. Can't get #1 cylinder to work from new #2 coil though(?). I can't decide if I have a #2 ignition problem, fuel problem, or a compression problem. I disconnected the kill-switches and that didn't change anything. The #2 cylinder is trying hard to run but just can't do it. Is the timing off? I've been "wrap-around" starting the motor b/c my recoil spring was shot and I fear I pulled something out of alignment. Any ideas? Thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: '76 Evinrude 9.9 HP on 1 cylinder?

Make certain that the points have not worn through the case hardening on the surfaces after cleaning / dressing them.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: '76 Evinrude 9.9 HP on 1 cylinder?

There is no timing adjustment on these motors. You have dirty points, points that need adjustment or a bad coil. You need to pull the flywheel and have a look, look for cracks in the coils as well while it's apart. Points are adjusted to .020