Can I have more power?

Stig

Recruit
Ok here's the deal. Got a boat ...88 Bayliner Bass Trophy 15' came w/a Force 50 that unfortunately doesn't have spark on one cyl. I am having an outboard mech. coming Fri. If the diagnosis/repairs get real pricey, I have a buddy who has an 85hp Force that runs well and can get it like stupid cheap. Can I do it? Should I do it? What can I expect if I do do it? Transom is solid, boat is in real good shape. I'm just sayin if the 50 is gonna kill me in repairs (it might not) also the 85 has tilt and trim :) Thoughts anyone?

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Can I have more power?

At least you can beat stupid cheap parting it out if it doesn't fit your situation. Edit: A tag somewhere on the boat will tell you motor and load limits.

Last edited:

Bifflefan

Commander

Ok here's the deal. Got a boat ...88 Bayliner Bass Trophy 15' came w/a Force 50 that unfortunately doesn't have spark on one cyl. I am having an outboard mech. coming Fri. If the diagnosis/repairs get real pricey, I have a buddy who has an 85hp Force that runs well and can get it like stupid cheap. Can I do it? Should I do it? What can I expect if I do do it? Transom is solid, boat is in real good shape. I'm just sayin if the 50 is gonna kill me in repairs (it might not) also the 85 has tilt and trim :) Thoughts anyone?

Id get it eather way, Just cause it there and cheap.
as for puttnig it on your boat, as long as it doesnt exceed your max power then go for it. if it does then insurance may become a porblem.

john from md

Commander

That 85hp weighs 255 pounds which is another factor you should take into consideration.

John

Stig

Recruit

Well the tag on the boat says 50hp. and I know that it may be an issue. I also know that there are some folks who have done the same (more hp) and have been ok. The funny thing is that when I look up the weight for the original force 50, it's only like 152lbs. If, say, I was to repower with a new 50 I'd be running into the 200-230lb. range anyhow, depending on the manufacturer. Some as high as 250lb. It's just a matter of can I do it without wreaking havoc on the transom or am I pissin in the wind?

foodfisher

Captain

Sounds to me like you're looking at a tidal wave coming in over the splashwell on any sudden deceleration.