O.K So here we go . .

jujubean

Cadet
When I test the stator, I get power. When I test the trigger, I get nothing. Is it really that simple? Should I go ahead and buy a trigger based on this information?

BTW, I am going to get a flywheel puller to see if I can get my flywheel off and look for any shorts or gounds in the trigger. If I don't see anything, then I guess my only choice is to buy a trigger . . . .:(

1995 25hp mercury. Kill switch unplugged, powerpack brand new.

Does a stator or trigger go out gradually pr just all at once, because this motor did this before and I dropped 200 on a new powerpack. At first I still got no fire, but then all of a sudden it fires right up and continued to do so for the next couple of wekks but then, all of a sudden on the water it is again getting no fire.

Thanks.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: O.K So here we go . .

u need to test ohms also, make sure there is no power connected when u test ohms

to test for a grounded out circuit, one lead on wire other lead on ground, it should read nothing

are u using digital or analog meter?

jujubean

Cadet

So when I test the stator, my motor should not be hooked to the battery? It is a hand driven motor, it has an electric start and also the option of pull starting. I have tested the stator for Ohms resistance and I am confused as to what to set the reader on (20k, 200k, 20m, etc . . .)

The resistance from the stator was something like one of them was .13 ohms and the other was 2.54 or something, but I definetly am getting some resistance. Its when I test the ohms from the trigger that the reader does nothing. Is there a certain way to test the trigger? I mean there are only two wires brn/yel brn/wht so do I put the black wire (from tester) on one and the red on the other or does it make that much of a difference?

How can I know for sure by testing the trigger if it is faulty or not?

Do I need to remove the screws going into the bottom of my flywheel to remove it or can it come off with them still screwd in.

Alot of questions I know, but while I've got the attention of someone hwo knows . . .

thanks for the help to everybody.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

all right here u go

when testing ohms/resistance u need to have no volts in circuit

either lead is fine when in ohms because u r testing the circuit not voltage

20k is 20,000
200k is 200,000
20m is 20,000,000

.13 and 2.54 is good for stator because u have a high low stator

now to test for ground take one lead to stator wire 1 lead to a ground engine ground, u should read 0

u need to pull the flywheel

jujubean

Cadet

Well, that means that my stator is probably not the problem right?

And, I am in the process of pulling the flywheel, I just need to know about the phillips screws in the bottom.

Thanks!

ricksrster

Commander

the trigger wires, brown/yellow to brown/white should read 750 -1400 Ohms. If you are getting no resistance, an open circuit, check the wires and see if they are broken. You might be able to repair them.

jujubean

Cadet

Well, thats what I am hoping. BTW- I do just put the black lead from the tester to one of the wires and the red lead to the other to check for resistance right? Thas what I did and I got nothing.

jujubean

Cadet

O.K so the flywheel is off with no problem, and after inspecting the trigger wires, I see that they look fine. No cuts or scratches or anything. It does wiggle though up and down. What should I do now?

ricksrster

Commander

If you are reading no resistance than your trigger is probably bad and needs to be replaced.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To make sure your meter is reading properly, touch the two leads together. The meter should read "0". There is a zero adjust knob on most analog meters so if thats what you have and can't adjust it to zero, the meter probably needs a new battery. And make sure you have the selector set to one of the "R" (resistance) settings. When you make resistance measurements, make sure your fingers are not touching the metal on the probes as you will be measuring the resistance of your body as well.

jujubean

Cadet

Well, it appears the trigger is dead. Now, the flywheel is off, and I see that the trigger looks as though it goes beneath the stator. The stator has a metal band around the inside of it with an opening where they meet. Is that there to remove the medal band so that you can take the stator off?

If not, how do I replace the trigger? Thats what I need to know as that is what I must do next. Another replacement trigger is on the way.

jujubean

Cadet

Any help on how to replace the trigger? I remove the stator first, but that seems a little tricky. HELP!

JUSTINTIME

Captain

very easy
just disconnect the arm that goes to throttle
it pulls right off
also take out the clamp holding the wires