89 GT 150 starts won't keep running

robinhood

Cadet
Took out my 150 first time this year but the only way it would run was if I kept priming the bulb. Cover off found gas leak at primer? patched it no leak but no change in running. New in line filter no change. What next? Starts fine but wont take off.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 89 GT 150 starts won't keep running

Fuel pump is weak or not pumping at all, you are compensating when you pump the bulb.

Before replacing the pump look at the vac check valve, I think it comes from the block near the pump, also check the vac hose for blockage. The fuel pump is vacuum energized.

Mine is a 1994 , might be a bit different. Its usually the pump though.

robinhood

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I noticed when I ran motor that after priming bulb it would empty out but not seem to help the motor. Once primed is the bulb supposed to stay firm while running? Could this be a problem?

jonesg

Admiral

What happens when you pump the bulb is the carb bowls fill, the float rises and closes the jet off and the bulb becomes firm.
When the engine runs it relieves the pressure in the bulb, the bulb becomes a flow through device, not firm , just squishy.:p

robinhood

Cadet

Talked to local Johnson shop they think its the fuel pump and want almost 600 to replace it. Can they be rebuilt? They didnt seem to know about check valve you told me to check. Need to find it on my motor. Thanks again.

jonesg

Admiral

Get the shop manual
www.outboardbooks.com

buy the pump and switch it out yourself, 45 minute job even if you don't have a clue what goes where.

Or buy the gas only pump and premix your own fuel.(cheaper)
I think iBoats sells the aftermkt pump for cheap.(sierra?)

robinhood

Cadet

I will check on the pumps with Iboats. Is there a way to check the pump to see if its working right or not? I've done car pumps before but not boats.

Bayou Native

Cadet

Get you a rebuild kit, its cheaper and it comes with instructions. I just rebuilt my fuel pump, its not that hard and for under $30.:rolleyes: