so i jus rebuilt the carb...

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice
I jus rebuilt the carb on the 66 john. 20 hp seahorse. And there is no fuel going to the cylinders. I followed the sticky the best i could and i know the float needle is acting as it should and i know there is fuel in the carb body. I just dont kno what to check, so any thoughts are appreciated (thoughts with pictures might be appreciated more)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: so i jus rebuilt the carb...

I jus rebuilt the carb on the 66 john. 20 hp seahorse. And there is no fuel going to the cylinders. I followed the sticky the best i could and i know the float needle is acting as it should and i know there is fuel in the carb body. I just dont kno what to check, so any thoughts are appreciated (thoughts with pictures might be appreciated more)

Go back and check the high speed jet (orifice plug). It must be absolutely clean, not even a hint of any gum dirt or varnish.

Attachments

• Orfice Plug.jpg
    Orfice Plug.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • Orifice plug.jpg
    Orifice plug.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure you hooked the fuell lines back up the right way? I know that sounds dumb, but I speak from experience, about 2 weeks ago actually, LoL, and I had them labelled with tape and everything.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

It is pretty hard to have no fuel flow. Did you bind the float valve somehow maybe?

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

the float valve seems to be doing what its suppose to, and im positive the single fuel line is hooked up correct lol. Im re-cleaning everything again, but i dont think its possible for it to be much cleaner

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

With carb off and in upright position try blowing in fuel inlet, with mouth. Air should pass needle and seat. Turn carb upside down and try blowing in fuel inlet again, No air should pass. This will tell test needle and seat operation.

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

I did that and it worked the way it was suppose too.... however new update...i pull on the cord and 1 in every 10 or so pulls i get a backfire( fairly loud). The kill switch wires are undone, and im still gittin a spark, but theres no gas on the plugs. Also, the spot where u plug in the fuel line is leaking, not sure if that matters fuel is still at the carb

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Did you have the plug wires off, sounds like you did to check spark, did you put them back on properly??? Is the choke closed as well???

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

yes the plug wires are on correctly, and ive tried starting it w. an open and closed choke

bktheking

Vice Admiral

OK. reeds could be bad, get yourself some 50:1 and squirt it into the carbs, try running it, report what it does.

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

well i had just taken the reed plate off before i read the last post, and it doesnt seem to be functioning properly. the "fans" dont seem to be allowing the gas in the cylinders. is there a way to adjust/ clean it without spending more money?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

This is how they work:

As the piston rises in the cylinder a vacuum is created in the crankcase beneath the piston. This vacuum opens the valve and admits the fuel-air mixture into the crankcase. As the piston descends, it raises the crankcase pressure causing the valve to close to retain the mixture and pressurize it for its eventual transfer through to the combustion chamber

Normally bad read valves you see get being spit out of the carb. Did you try the gas thing?? Are the reeds missing any tabs, probably not?

Gonefishin95

Seaman Apprentice

turns out the reed screws were stuck now allowing them to turn at all? i loosened them by half a hair so they were able to turn.... it now runs!!!! now on to the water impeller....but thanks for all the advice

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Awesome news, glad it fired up, all that for reeds.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

turns out the reed screws were stuck now allowing them to turn at all? i loosened them by half a hair so they were able to turn.... it now runs!!!! now on to the water impeller....but thanks for all the advice

Hate to tell you this, but the reeds aren't supposed to "turn". Good luck

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ya they are stationary on the motors i've worked on, the screw is supposed to hold them in place, but hey, i've seen weird things before.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with FR.