92 Evinrude SLOW Rpm Reduction

imported_Mace

Recruit
92 -40 hp Evinrude--horn warning and rpm reduction to 2000rpm after running awhile. 1-2 hrs of cooling no change. Ok after sitting overnight, then repeats the same thing. Oil injection system removed yrs ago. Cylinder head feels cool, water flow ok. Temp sensor?

ob

Admiral
Re: 92 Evinrude SLOW Rpm Reduction

Could be a faulty temp sensor.I'm assuming you performed the feel check just after the alarm initiated the s.l.o.w. You could confirm by either using a infra red temp gun or mark the heads in several locations with a 163 degree melt stik that your dealer should be able to supply.

If you confirm that the engine is not running hot, besides the temp sensor itself being culprit ,also eliminate the possibility that the tan lead from the sensor is not chaffed and making to ground somewhere.

Has the waterpump and T/stat been replaced within the last few years.If not,they're due.

imported_Mace

Recruit

Don't think the waterpump or t/stat has ever been changed. I would like to try it myself, but no manual. Is it difficult without one? Also, does the temp sensor simply pull out of it's housing.

Thanks

imported_Mace

Recruit

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A service manual specific to your engine is essential if you intend to service the engine yourself. If saves time, frustration, and can help prevent mistakes that could cost many more times the cost of the manual. If you don't want to buy one, check your local library -- they often have them to check out.