40 hp won't start-HELP!

61evinrude

Cadet
I just need a little advice to help me get my old boat moving again. I got a 1961 evinrude 40 hp big twin. It's modle # is 35022. It is the pull start only modle. It has been about 5 years since the motor has been ran and there just isn't any spark. It ran great before the boat got parked, but the boat needed an overhaul, so hear I am 5 years later with a boat with a dead motor. Where is a good place to start to try and finding the spark?

61evinrude

Cadet
Re: 40 hp won't start-HELP!

Thank you, that information was very helpful. The motor has good compression, so I don't think that is the problem. I am looking for a manual for the motor. Haven't had any luck finding one yet, but I will check out some of those sites that were mentioned and see if I can find one.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Google ken cook, I bet he will have one for you.

61evinrude

Cadet

Thank you, Ken Cook has any literature on my outboard that I would ever need. I found a local store that sells a clymers manual on my engine, but I have to order it. Do you know if these manuals are any good or would I be better off with what Ken Cook has to offer?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go with Ken Cook. the manuals are factory reproductions. The cost is a little more but the manual is the best source to ansewer all your questions. If they offer one, and you can afford it, get the parts manual also. Gives you the part numbers and shows assembly breakdowns.

61evinrude

Cadet

Thank you very much. I will have to see if I can order one of the mauals from Ken Cook.

86bayyliner

Seaman Apprentice

For downloadable manuals go to tradebit.com. type in evinrude and a bunch of manuals will pop up and there like 9-14$....i had intermit tin spark from my 1990 150 evinrude and like 10 min ago i found the problem..not saying this is your problem but check were your ignition is like were you put your key in. wiggle it around.. i went to drop in my boat yesterday and i couldn't start it but the day before was running like a champ.. it was a bad connection were my key goes.. hope that helped..

61evinrude

Cadet

I would give that a try, but the motor is a rope start only. I think I need to replace some of the electronics on the motor, it has been sitting on the back of the boat outside for about the past 5 years. Luckily for me it didn't seize up and it still has great compression. But I may have to put my boat project on hold, my wife finally gave birth to our son, so I may be shifting the bulk of my spare money in another direction.

Attachments

• reilly3#2.JPG
    reilly3#2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0