71 25 HP Evinrude questions

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, These forums help me to return a 69 Merc 200 back to the water. My next project is 25 hp Evinrude (serial number 2520R-E04783). than was given to me. I think its a 71 model. I checked and cleaned a few things just to make sure is was worth the effort. After sqirting a small amount of fuel into the carb it fired off for about 3 seconds. I am now iin the process of rebuilding the fuel pump and rebuilding the carb. I am also going to replace the impeller and all the fuel lines. Is there anything I should no about these motors. Also where does the water pee out of? Also I cant see how you can use the muffs on these. Looks like the foot has to be submerged in a barrel. Any help would be great. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 71 25 HP Evinrude questions

good stuff here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

yes it has to be submerge 1/2 way up the leg.

red-water intake. yellow-exhaust, green exhaust relief ports and tale tell, you should get mist and droplets at idle. most of the water goes out the exhaust.

Attachments

• HPIM0223.jpg
    HPIM0223.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, thats good info. I maybe dumb question. How do you know you have good flow thru the waterpump if you cant see the stream?

lindy46

Captain

Water sprays/dribbles out the exhaust relief port - that's how you know it's working.

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. New problem, I was doing some checking and trying to get the motor fired off tonight. After about 20 pulls with no luck I checked to make sure it was getting spark and it seems I lost spark on the top cyl. I was getting spark to both last night. I swaped plugs around but still no spark on the one cyl. does not sppear to be alot of electronics on this motor compared to my mer 20 Hp. I aussme these operate off of points correct? Any ideas on what to check. I know my merc like the back of my hand but have never messed with an evinrude before. Dont have the manual but it should not be to hard to figure out. Any help would be great. Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Remove flywheel, you will see the ign system. There is a coil, points and cond for each cylinder. check coils for cracks, clean and set points to .020.