Garmin 400c anyone have one?

WOODY367

Cadet
I was looking at buying the Garmin 400c fishfinder. Was wondering if anyone has one and what they think? Pro's and con's. I liked the nice bight clear displey with large#. Its alittle more then I wanted to spend but if its worth it I will. Thanks

yeltrik

Recruit
Re: Garmin 400c anyone have one?

i have this unit and have for some time now. very well built, reliable and performs very well, i purchased it for three reasons. one, as a back up to my chartplotter. two, to use in my tender on longer excursions. three, for the anchor drag feature. it has performed these flawlessly.

for anchor drag feature i am able to put two rechargeable AA batteries in it before bedtime and they easily last through the night. i am able to sleep much more comfortable knowing i've an active alarm monitoring my location.

here's my anchoring routine. when i drop anchor i set a waypoint. when i set the anchor i set a waypoint. with this i have both important points marked on the chart. then i can get in the dinghy with this unit and see exactly where i'll swing and how close i'll get to obstacles or other boats. with the tracking feature i can see graphically where the boat has swung during the day. the anchor drag feature allows me to set the alarm distance. also with this information if another boat asks where my anchor is i can tell them exactly where it was dropped.

the only thing i am disappointed about is i have not been able to find the waypoint proximity alarm distance setting. if anyone who has this knows how to do this PLEASE let me know. this would be VERY helpful in anchoring because you could actually take the 400c to a rock outcropping and mark a waypoint. then set a proximity alarm for say 100 feet. then boat moved inside this proximity "alarm zone" an audible alarm would sound. much better than just an anchor drag alarm.

btw, if you get one make sure you visit garmin website and upload the latest software version.

i hope this helps.

ken

WOODY367

Cadet

Thanks Ken, I didn't realize there were different 400c's. I am looking at the 400c fishfinder not the GPS units.

yeltrik

Recruit

reading your original post you said 'fishfinder' but all i read was the garmin 400c. well if you're in the market for a great handheld marine gps the garmin colorado 400c is outstanding! ;-)