Suggestions for new depthfinder

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Right now I am using an old Humingbird LCD4 ID which still works but is in need of an upgrade. The old big square pixels, not very pretty to look at when it comes to finding humps and holes.

I've read a lot of reviews and most have mixed reults. People either love'm or hate'm. Also reliablity seems to very greatly even among same models.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Eagle 320 but haven't found much on the Garmin for reviews.

Any advice or recommedations?

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suggestions for new depthfinder

Right now I am using an old Humingbird LCD4 ID which still works but is in need of an upgrade. The old big square pixels, not very pretty to look at when it comes to finding humps and holes.

I've read a lot of reviews and most have mixed reults. People either love'm or hate'm. Also reliablity seems to very greatly even among same models.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Eagle 320 but haven't found much on the Garmin for reviews.

Any advice or recommedations?

Looks like your looking at something in the $100 to $200 range.

Take a look at the Humminbird 565.
http://www.iboats.com/Humminbird_52...3789217--**********.709125604--view_id.359137

The Humminbird 788 is nice for a high end 5" screen.

The 565 has good specs in a comparible color graph you will spend $500+ for what you can have the 565 in monochrome for.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes that looks like the "class" I'm looking at. Then there looks like a $100. jump to the next "class" Like the Lowrance x125.

GPS would be nice but I think I'll wait until the next upgrade for that and speed pickup would be nice but as of yet the wife and I haven't gotten into planerboard trolling. Though we are thinking about it.

What is the advantage to color screens? My main concern is ease of use and reliablity. Were I see the Hummingbird reviews relate to a lot of problems with the screen fogging up.

Right now we have a week before we need to decide which one.

carver63

Recruit

I have the Hummingbird 656 and it works really great. The only drawback is the clutter at higher speeds. I was torn between a Garmin and the Hummingbird and am totally satisfied with my decision.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

carver63, how long have you been using it?

I work maintanence in the food industry were everything is getting washed down 3-5 times a day and I've seen 1st hand what happens to electronics when water is added. The many comments I've read about the Hummingbird screens fogging up to me is a good indication that moisture is getting through.

And that Hummingbird addresses this foggong in their manual is a bit distressing.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

carver63, how long have you been using it?

I work maintanence in the food industry were everything is getting washed down 3-5 times a day and I've seen 1st hand what happens to electronics when water is added. The many comments I've read about the Hummingbird screens fogging up to me is a good indication that moisture is getting through.

And that Hummingbird addresses this foggong in their manual is a bit distressing.

You can find problems with just about all makes. I will suggest one thing to you, That what ever brands you maybe considering call their customer service and see how that goes as far as waiting on hold ect.
Good customer service goes a long way if you should need it.
You have an older Humminbird that I guess has served you well. Humminbirds new products are far and away better than they were 10 years ago.
No I don`t work for Humminbird. I have a Vexilar graph on my boat.

Here`s a link to another site where you will find additional discussion on fish finders, http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I had an issue with a graph I bought a while back. Iboats went to bat for me when the company that made the graph didn`t.
So shop Iboats, they stand behind their products and customers.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm not saying that Hummingbird is a bad brand at all. I'm just relating what I have found in the 100 or so user reviews that I have read on the Hummingbird 5 series models. It is also a problem that is mentioned quite frequently in those reviews.

As to CS issues there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the comments about either brand so to me that's a wash. Both has issues with phone contact and nonreturned emails and both had repair costs that were almost equal to the replacement cost. Another wash.

So let me ask you this. If you were looking to buy one in this "class" and had read all those user reviews for both brands, knowing the inherent problem with fogging, would you buy that model Hummingbird?

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not saying that Hummingbird is a bad brand at all. I'm just relating what I have found in the 100 or so user reviews that I have read on the Hummingbird 5 series models. It is also a problem that is mentioned quite frequently in those reviews.

As to CS issues there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the comments about either brand so to me that's a wash. Both has issues with phone contact and nonreturned emails and both had repair costs that were almost equal to the replacement cost. Another wash.

So let me ask you this. If you were looking to buy one in this "class" and had read all those user reviews for both brands, knowing the inherent problem with fogging, would you buy that model Hummingbird?

Sorry my computer is quoting everthing with the quick reply icon.

I guess its a tuff call. I will roll the dice with Humminbird over Lowrance with my dollar. My bad experience was with the x510c software that could not be resolved through numerious up dates. Freezing in weedy water. I had a x75 from the 90s that worked 100% better than Lowrances` new color stuff.

Your looking at the new older model Eagle in monochrome I`m sure you`ll be pretty safe.
I have read good reviews on the 320s. That doesn`t make the 45 minute hold on customer service any easier though. Hopefully they are useing the older software in these units. Right around 2003 on seems Lowrance sonars have been buggy. Transducers have been unreliable too in later years.

I`m unaware of any fogging issues pertaining to the Birds. I don`t own one though.
Lowrance software has bugs. I have read about some of their HDS units filling up with water in the rain.
In the 1990s Lowrance was one of the very best graphs. Today I`m no so sure anymore.
Humminbird today is far better than they were in the 90s.
I bought a Vexilar EdgeII to replace the x510c.
Vexilar is quality stuff but get your wallet out.

My old X75 was an example of the products lowrance made that earned them the following they have today.
They are not the same company they use to be.

Don`t just take my word for it, do some research on forums from a handfull of sites.
I had no second thoughs of going with Lowrance again after owning the X75, despite some bad reviews I read.
All things have problems that can or can`t be delt with. Its how they`re dealt with that makes them livible.
The keep on fixing it game and hours on the phone was a bit much and the (when fed up) sorry we can`t refund your money see your retailer.

I just wanted to start fishing again.

So I will roll dice with Humminbirds` customer service as well.

Sorry hope this hasn`t crossed the line. I`m not here to bash.
Just wanted to shed light on my experience that has been echoed by others.

I will be looking at Vexilar for my sonar needs now.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

whofan, no offense taken and haven't crossed any lines by me!

This is the reson I started this thread in the first place. To gain others knowledge to help me make an informed decision.

As it stands I'm looking at the Eagle 320 and the Hummingbird 565 because those are the ones that have been most recommended in this price range. Unfortuneately no one has responded with any views on the Garmins so I haven't even looked at them.

Now as for the Eagle, the 320 actually has better user reviews than does the 480. With the 320 having fewer issues. While the majority of the users of the 565 were still very happy with them in spite of the screen fogging up under certain conditions.

I have been offered a number of used fishfinders sense I've started this search and a couple of them have been older very high end units. One is a 4 yr. old model chartplotter that was $1100.00 new and he's asking 225.00 with all the extras. Though I kind of decided against it as I am a bit leery of ending up with soneone elses headache. Which is also why I won't look on ebay. At least with a new unit if it goes bad right away I can take it back. Or is this wrong thinking?

Also my thinking is that for less than $200.00 new these things are basically throw-aways when they do break.

Does this make sense?

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

whofan, no offense taken and haven't crossed any lines by me!

This is the reson I started this thread in the first place. To gain others knowledge to help me make an informed decision.

As it stands I'm looking at the Eagle 320 and the Hummingbird 565 because those are the ones that have been most recommended in this price range. Unfortuneately no one has responded with any views on the Garmins so I haven't even looked at them.

Now as for the Eagle, the 320 actually has better user reviews than does the 480. With the 320 having fewer issues. While the majority of the users of the 565 were still very happy with them in spite of the screen fogging up under certain conditions.

I have been offered a number of used fishfinders sense I've started this search and a couple of them have been older very high end units. One is a 4 yr. old model chartplotter that was $1100.00 new and he's asking 225.00 with all the extras. Though I kind of decided against it as I am a bit leery of ending up with soneone elses headache. Which is also why I won't look on ebay. At least with a new unit if it goes bad right away I can take it back. Or is this wrong thinking?

Also my thinking is that for less than $200.00 new these things are basically throw-aways when they do break.

Does this make sense?

Yes your right even higher end or just about any electronics are throw aways past a certain point.
As far as being able to return to your retailer I` d say go with the brand they sell considering they are the place you like to shop.
At $200 you still need quality, you should get at least five years out of a graph preferibly problem free five years. $200 is still a chunk of change.
I am biased against Lowrance after all I went through. Its a shame because Lowrance product really shines on display. Mine didn`t work on water. Lowrance has a good looking product though.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am curious about this subject too. Any input on the question with regards to color vs. black and white?

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention that I also currently have a hummingbird but have had no problems with the screen fogging up.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well I still haven't bought or decided upon one yet. Got set back a bit by an engine repair.

Recently I have been also looking at the Hummingbird 718. Anyone using one? Haven't really been able to find any user reviews on this one. Also does anyone know what the GPS capable is? Does it just need a receiver or does it have to have a stand alone GPS attached to it?

So right now I'm looking at the Hummingbird 565 and 718 which are about the same price along with the Eagle Fishmark 320.

barataria

Cadet

What type of fishing are you planning on using your new graph for?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Most of the lakes my wife and I fish regularly are less than 1000 acres and a max depth of 40' or less. With probably most of the fishing in less than 20' with an occasional trip to Lake Geneva Wi. which is only about 45min to the easiest ramp. Lake Michigan is also only about 45 min. but I don't think I would venture iut much in my 14' Lund.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Yesterday we picked up a new Humminbird 718 and mostly because it is GPS capable, just need to add a receiver later. We also looked at the 728 but it was another $100.00 which pushed it over my currant budget.

Hopefully this will help make the transition from the old pixel LCD unit. Also went against my nature and spent $35.00 on an extended "No Questions Asked" 2 yr. warrantee. As the salesperson put it, "I ran it over with my car, boat sunk!, just bring it in we'll replace it". We'll see if I ever need it.

Hopefully I'll write a review on our experience with it after we use it a bit.

Thanks everyone!