operating temperature of ignition coil?

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
was out today running for about 30 minutes, motor started missing. started trouble shooting. found ignition coil very hot, could not hold onto it. checked volts to + terminal. running had 11 volts, motor off & key on had 7 volts. boat would start and run up to 2500-3000 rpms but not any more. all other components seem ok, new plugs, points, condensor, filters. any suggestions of what could be the culprit are appreciated.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: operating temperature of ignition coil?

Replace the coil, they are relatively cheap.....
Exactly what engine/ package are we referring to?
It does sound like a bad coil, but other forces may be at work......JK

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: operating temperature of ignition coil?

I can't help with this problem but I recently replaced my coil. The new coil is smaller in diameter than the old one and the mounting bracket does not tighten around the new one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what material I should use to wrap around the new coil which will make it larger in diameter so the mounting bracket fits tight around it? I thought about winding a few wraps of plumber's tape around the midsection of the coil where it is held in place by the bracket, but I am concerned about the potential heat buildup. Would wrapping it with a strip of aluminum be better? Thanks!