where to dispose of old gas

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice
A few years ago I inherited a boat that had been sitting for a few years and it had a full tank of spoiled gas in it. Where do you legally and responsibly dispose of it? I have asked this question to several people and the usual response is, "just dump it on the street" or "just burn it." I am looking for the best way to do it without harming the environment. I don't hug trees but I do care.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: where to dispose of old gas

In 2001 when I got my present boat, it had over 80 gallons of 6 year old gas. The stuff was darker than coffee.

I tried the fire department, but they no longer will accept it for practice burns. So I ended up getting two 55 gallon drums and put it in them. Over the years since then I have used it to kill stubborn weeds, start fires, and gave some away to friends. One friend mixed 1 gallon to 25 gallons of used motor oil in his oil burner in his garage. I still have about 20 gallons left, but he said he would pick it up in a month or so. The stuff is truly hard to get rid of. If you know someone that is trading in a Cash for Clunker car, offer to fill it up for them :D

Another is put it in a gas can and leave it where it can be stolen. Of course your going to have the expense of the can that will be lost.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I save mine for Desert season and use it to start fires. Also it works great for getting oil off my garage floor and cleaning parts.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

because of how fuel breaks down it basically turns into varsol, a very strong cleaning agent.

but for disposal best option is selling as fire starter or just burn it yourself

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was going to say use it in the lawn mower/weed wacker/chainsaw...but 80 gallons will cut a lot of grass! Hehe, I'd mix it into the work truck whenever I use it for personal use. Kinda evil I know, but I hate the piece of crap gm savana tin can death trap...but it tows the boat when I am on call. :p

Ian

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Don't mix years-old gas with fresh and put in any engine. If it's just barely out of date or stale, that's okay...but years-old gas is basically varnish.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

We have a Hazardous Waste drop off at our landfill here in Polk county Fl. You might see if yours does too.

Bob

Jeep Man

Commander

Most places that recycle used motor oil will take it. Check with your local corner garage.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

For some reason, it is extremely difficult to get rid of old gas. I believe that most counties have recycling centers where you can dispose of household hazardous materials. They do here in NV and back in FL.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah can't help you much with a "proper" way of disposing of it...

I use mine to start fires where I am at, (out in the woods), so open fire pit is legal... pour some on a piece of cardboard so it soaks into the cardboard and not the ground, light a match and stand back LOL

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Most places that recycle used motor oil will take it. Check with your local corner garage.

The Advanced Auto here takes oil(free), but not sure about the gas, You can call around.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mix at about 3 to 1, new gas to old, for a full tank in your car and throw in a can of seafoam. It'll work fine.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I would not run that gas in my car or even my weed whacker.

The gas had been in there for a few years when Great Gricey got the boat a few years ago. It could be 4 years to 8 years or even older. "few" is not a well defined term. My guess is its good for cleaning and that's about it. I used to give my old gas to a landscape contractor for his mowers and weed whackers. He wouldn't take/use gas this old.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

talk to a local garage or car dealership they will know who to contact--if you don't want to spend money to discard--then burn it or clean with it

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Solid waste (land fill) takes it in my town, they burn it up in the incinerator.

Y-Guy

Seaman

Well it might take a while, but you can always use it to make a Sobe Bomb! :D
SobeBomb1.JPG

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice

I recently chatted with a nearly-retired fire chief and he gave me some advice - gas stations have a routine service where a company comes in to clean the tanks and they will take it. They will also make house calls for a fee. He also said to use it as a fire starter - but don't use too much (he said that gas is more powerful than dynamite). I have enough gas to start fires for the next 50 years. Too bad it is taking up space and stinking up my shed.

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice

I still have the gas in my shed but I was thinking - does anyone know if a car junk yard would take old gas? They have to do something with it before they crush the cars - atleast I would imagine.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

My local garage use waste oil to heat the garage, he mixes the old gas in and just burns it.............

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

wow..

I dont feel so bad with my 8 gallons or so to get rid of