What a PIA docking a boat in a strong current!!

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Myself and my kids went out today for a wonderful afternoon out on the boat. Usually I trailer my boat, but a boating friend offered his vacant slip for the week while i'm on vacation, and my buddy is getting a blown head gasket repaired on his boat. I'm fairly new to boating, but thus far have had a consistant, and stress free learning curve, UNTIL ATTEMPTING TO DOCK A BOAT IN A STRONG ADJACENT CURRENT!!! Give me some credit I tried like 4 times bow in stern in, left side of dock right side of dock..... and the problem was the current kept pitching my boat sideways. I tried to let the tide creep me near the dock so my son could jump off and secure a line. Luckily another friendly boater saw me struggeling and just told me get the boat close, and he will pull me in. The boater commented, I was faced with a strong challenging current. He was so friendly and gave me a few tips about how to "just get the stern close to the dock, and jump, secure a line, and then just manually pull the boat in. I felt like such a dumb*****, as I actually almost bumped another boat on one of my futile attempts, but my quick thinking son kept the boats from bumping. So to the friendly boater who assisted me docking at Larry's Marina THANK YOU!

Rich

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What a PIA docking a boat in a strong current!!

I find that pointing the bow directly into the current and taking the boat in and out of gear with the wheel in different positions (to move the stern left and right as needed) can make docking with current easier than without. Using this technique, you make the boat move sideways. Another option is a spring line. I use them all the time in windy situtations or tight quarters.

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

I know what you mean! Last time I was out in the missouri river, I tried about 4 times to get the boat lined up the the dock and every time i'd be catty-wompus by the time I made it there. I finally just got pretty close, and parallel with the dock and let the current push me over to it, worked out pretty well.

Getting the boat back on the trailer, now that was something. First of all the current was so strong, when my buddy backed in, the current took the trailer a bit so now the trailer is crooked on the ramp, so every time I tried to get it on the stern would just be moved away so quick, finally, some guys came over and I was able to get the bow by the trailer and the pulled me straight and I could drive up on it.

man I must have looked like an idiot, I tried about 10 times to get it on the trailer. But there was nothing I could do!

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

man I must have looked like an idiot, I tried about 10 times to get it on the trailer. But there was nothing I could do!

Guide ons.

They help make you look like you're good at it.

Trust me. I know. ;)

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know what you mean! Last time I was out in the missouri river, I tried about 4 times to get the boat lined up the the dock and every time i'd be catty-wompus by the time I made it there. I finally just got pretty close, and parallel with the dock and let the current push me over to it, worked out pretty well.

Getting the boat back on the trailer, now that was something. First of all the current was so strong, when my buddy backed in, the current took the trailer a bit so now the trailer is crooked on the ramp, so every time I tried to get it on the stern would just be moved away so quick, finally, some guys came over and I was able to get the bow by the trailer and the pulled me straight and I could drive up on it.

I needed to dock my boat on the right (looking at my slip), and the current was forcing my boat into the docks, but also left. If the current was pushing me into my dock, that would have been much easier. There was another boat already docked on the left too making me kinda nervous of bumping the other boat. I was getting so frustrated as I was trying everything I could think of. I am sure a seasoned boater familiar with this specific marina current, would have backed her stern in in one shot, but not the rookie...

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Nope you didn't look like an idiot. Single ouboard with strong wind or current = tough job. Don't be afraid to use a piling or a protected corner of the dock to pivot on. At low speed low power you won't damage your boat. Just keep your cool and someday find a place away from a million eyes or so and practice working your boat in the current. And if you don't have side guides on your trailor, its really rough to load by yourself under tough conditions no matter how good you are.

Safe boating ya'll

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can be a PITA for sure!

If you don't have a pair of spring lines, get 'em, and then learn how to use them. Buy and read the book "Powerboat Handling Illustrated" by Robert Sweet, it explains docking techniques (and everything else) under all conditions very, very well.

Guide ons.

They help make you look like you're good at it.

Trust me. I know. ;)

You bet. Probably the best $100 I ever spent on boating.

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It can be a PITA for sure!

If you don't have a pair of spring lines, get 'em, and then learn how to use them. Buy and read the book "Powerboat Handling Illustrated" by Robert Sweet, it explains docking techniques (and everything else) under all conditions very, very well.

You bet. Probably the best $100 I ever spent on boating.

Thanks for the tips, i'll check into that book!

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

+1 on the book. Picked it up about a month ago and have read most of it twice. Haven't tried the spring lines yet but learned a lot about Forward vs reverse swivel points and prop steer at low speed.

cronx

Cadet

My first docking attempt was unsuccessful either. Someone really awesome helped me out just by dragging the boat with the line.. Now I am saving up money for a stern thruster :D I am sure I could just use the boat hook for now, but who knows

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went out again today, and same tide current, but I had some good knowledge, and got my boat close enough so my son could quickly jump, and tie up the stern line, then I was able to use propulsion to pull the bow in. Worked great, and was able to tie up on my second attempt! Yea baby!

I am learning how to use the steering and fwd, and rev propulsion to creep my boat, it just takes time, but i'm getting it!

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some others have stated spring lines and I agree. I spent many years running rescue boats, rafting, straight towing and docking are safest and easiest when done with spring lines.

Take the time to learn, not hard, just got to think like a line, all pull no push.

You will be glad you took the time to learn them.:D