1970 Evinrude 85 HP...Missing,surging???

johnschisum

Recruit
I have a 1970 85 HP Evinrude. I have two new tanks all new fuel lines, including squeeze ball. My problem is that she wants to surge or miss at high speeds (anything over trolling speed) to the point where after awhile she won't even plane up. It is really starting to wear on my last nerve. I forgot to mention the carbs were just rebuilt, and synched and a new throttle control cable installed it seems to run well until warm and then it starts acting up. The one thing that surprises me is it it accelerates fine in nuetral but when drive is engaged it misses and or surges idle speed is good no misses and sounds like a new engine. any help would be great thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Evinrude 85 HP...Missing,surging???

Most likely an air leak somewhere in the fuel system. Check all the way - tank to the intake manifold.

johnschisum

Recruit

I found a cracked fuel line and replaced it and I found a bare wire of the coil and I repaired it also I will take it out today and see what happens

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Squeeze the primer bulb repeatedly and see if the engine runs better. Put a timing light on each plug wire when you sense you have the intermittent problem. See if you get constant, bright flashes from each wire.