no speed

bigtrucks

Cadet
my 1993 johnson will not run at high rpm, with attempting to obtain speed the rpms start falling until i pull back on the throttle,then open again. the carbs have been rebuilt, linkage has been adjusted, new fuel pump,fuel filter.:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: no speed

you have a 1993 WHAT??? did you remove the all the jets and clean them? have you check timing, have you check compression and spark? did you do linc n sinc as directed in the OEM Johnson manual?

bigtrucks

Cadet

the motor is a 50 h.p., yes the carbs have been rebuilt, linkage has been adiusted per the book, the v.r.o. has been replaced. before the v.r.o. was replaced the problem was worse. at that time if i pushed the primer button the boat would pickup speed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does the motor pick up speed now, if you activate the primer? If so it is a carb or other fuel problem. If not, your high speed windng on the stator could be bad. You might ohm it out.

bigtrucks

Cadet

i did not try the primer again, iam sure the carbs are ok, what i do not understand is why backing off the throttle helps for a few moments and the motor performs ok at low speed. not sure which stator was referenced to?

rick74631

Seaman Apprentice

check fuel lines even on the carbs mine did it to i put new lines on all of it runs good now

bigtrucks

Cadet

carbs were completely disassembled,all pieces were cleaned, compressed air was used to blow out passeges, kits were used along with new floats, float levels and drop are as per spec.