What is normal RPM for a 4.3L?

NMBuzz

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone please direct me to a place where I can find the specs for a 4.3L Mercruiser- specifically what RPM's I should be turning at or near WOT.

(Currently at WOT RPM's are near 5,000 and the speed is near 40 MPH)

This seems to be too high of RPM's and I am always a little uneasy when running ANY machine WOT...
If I am off base on this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Buzz

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: What is normal RPM for a 4.3L?

Can someone please direct me to a place where I can find the specs for a 4.3L Mercruiser

adults only sticky, mercruiser manuals link

download the manual that pertains to your engine

specs are there

NMBuzz

Seaman Apprentice

adults only sticky, mercruiser manuals link

download the manual that pertains to your engine

specs are there

God I luv this forum! Thank you for that quick and informative reply!

Fun Times

Staff member

Some where on the engine there should be if it is still stock, Or might be a sticker on the engine or flame arrestor that will tell you your max rpm for the engine.

dtime

Cadet

5000 RPM :eek::not sure about the murcuriser but my 91 omc is rated at 42-4600 RPM WOT with a 2 barrel

dtime

Cadet

ASfor the 40 mph i would try a different prop and lower youfr rpms you may be cavataing. i can reach 42 @ 3800 rpms with a 14.2X19 on my 19 foot thundercraft

NMBuzz

Seaman Apprentice

ASfor the 40 mph i would try a different prop and lower youfr rpms you may be cavataing. i can reach 42 @ 3800 rpms with a 14.2X19 on my 19 foot thundercraft[/QUOTE

The whole prop pitch and size thing just flat out confuses the crud outta me. I thought I was through with algebra in the 11th grade! LOL

Seems there has to be an easier way... I figure I am running about ~500 pounds give or take with fuel passengers, fuel, stuff... I may try to figure this out a little more... I would really like to get my RPM's down, but still have that good hole shot to get a skier up.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to do a forum jump over to the prop forum..... lots of prop gurus over there. They'll be glad to do the "algebra" for you.

dtime

Cadet

try thishttp://www.propellerwizard.com/SITEPREVIEW/boat_props/index.php? web site