BOAT DOES NOT RUN IN THE WATER WHY!!!!

xtremestang

Cadet
Re: BOAT DOES NOT RUN IN THE WATER WHY!!!!

calwldlif said:
What prompted the manifold changes?
And head gaskets?
New boat to you?
In all the responses there is good advice.
Time to check idle settings and chase wires.
Post more hard info, general stalls and won't start
stuff isn't narrowing the prob.
This boat had a cracked head on #5 piston, head gasket between #3 & # 5 was blown Both exhaust elbows had cracks in them. Water was in the # 5 piston. From the heads up including the intake manifold has been replaced. This boat is new to me but I know the person that had it before and it did not have this problem then. I still think this is an electrical problem

xtremestang

Cadet

Ok I have now removed the outdrive. the shaft was full of water I think it is leaking through the bellows or the water inlet because where the rubber ring is was all corroded. I am going to check the wiring in there

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

xtremestang said:
Ok I have now removed the outdrive. the shaft was full of water I think it is leaking through the bellows or the water inlet because where the rubber ring is was all corroded. I am going to check the wiring in there

There is no wiring "In There"

jamesr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pressure check ? I have a merc 140 that had a damaged piston that ran fine in the driveway, but would fall on its face everytime I put it in water.

Pst76

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto, On the pressure check. Water may be getting further into the engine than supposed to. How is compression? Water getting in to Cyl through bad ehaust valves?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Is it possible the water in the bellows is not the same problem?

I would check the voltage on the positve side of the coil when the boat is in AND out of the water.

Was the drive in the same position when the boat would start and not start?

jamesr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Compression Test" not pressure test. Perhaps both!Sorry :)

Daddy O

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perform a compression check.

Maybe you have a weak cylinder or cylinders. This is a long shot. Maybe a stuck or broken exhaust flapper (maybe wrong name), causing back pressure, and killing the engine with the added backpressure from being in the water.

Water, water, I need water!

xtremestang

Cadet

Don said:
xtremestang said:

There is no wiring "In There"
The wiring for the trim sensors

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You really need to learn how to use the forum software, and where to post your replies. It would help if you learned how to describe things also. (The shaft was full of water) since I doubt that solid steel shaft filled with water, I would assume you meant the bellows around the shaft was full of water. Then you said you were going to check the wiring in there, Since you said that while you were describing inside the bellows, I assumed you meant inside the bellows again..... see what I mean?
Besides that, there is a trim gauge sender wiring on the transom shield on the outside of the boat, along with the trim limit switch wiring. Neither of which has a thing to do with the engine running or not. You could cut the wires, hook them together, ground them to metal, or hook a hot wire to them and nothing is going to affect the running of the engine.

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said that if you start the boat on the ramp and out of the water and then put it in the water real fast that it will run for a couple minutes then stall. You also said that you are getting water in the bellows. That water may be getting past the shaft seal and into the boat/bilge area. Is you bilge pump coming on? Maybe you are getting enough water through the bellows to short out wiring on the starter solenoid or other related wiring laying in the bilge area. Just a thought. Really would like to see what fixes it! Good luck!

piersbc

Cadet

Could it be angle or slope of the boat on the ramp that causes the carb to flood...maybe check the floats....

flashback

Captain

Don't much think its an electrical grounding problem, but one way you might eliminate that possiblity is to ground the engine while on the trailer and give it a shot... for example get a piece of wire and a metal rod. drive the rod into the ground and connect the wire to the outdrive at one end and the rod at the other.. if it truly is being grounded out, then this procedure should cause the same effect.......good luck.......

Could it be a loose wire? Boat sits straight on trailor and runs great. In the water, boat lists to starboard from your weight and loose wire shorts out.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

I luv to guess
I'll take door number one
Is it bigger than a bread box?
Col mustard in the library with a lead pipe.

Why is it so hard for people to give info asked for?
Rpms? Hows it die Quick.....like my interest in this game?
Choking...like my patience?
Die is as die does

pete963

Cadet

i like what don said about water and angle it coulb be your pick up tube is loose and you may be sucking air but when your level it may be just enough for you to get gas to carb

ziggy

Admiral

i'd think it's time to stop guessin and start diaganoisin. when yer in the water. what don't you have. air, fire or fuel? when ya find which one ya don't have. it will be time to start diaganiosisn where that problem is at in that system.
i think i'd look into the water in the bellows thing first myself. it don't matter if it runs if it sinks.....+ if ya got water in the bellows ya will be needin some new parts in there too....

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

My first suggestion is to stop running the engine on the ramp. You have undoubtedly cooked your impelled and housing several times over.