Mercruiser Engine Assessment

sieg100

Cadet
79 Lund with a 228 Mercruiser engine (305). Got it pulled and pretty much all tore down and would like some feedback on what I can fix and what just plain needs replaced. I'll include pics.

Had water in 2 cylinders, but I may have caused that. Had the carb and distributor pulled and it was outside a week ago when an unexpected rainstorm passed thru. The engine hasn't been started for a few years so I would assume that the pitting would be worse if it was longer than that. Plus, it had been winterized before it was parked a few years ago. Had antifreeze come out when I removed the manifolds and there was not any antifreeze in the water on the pistons.

Cylinder 2 was at TDC and has what actually looked like a layer of caked mud along the bottom egde of the top of the piston. This caused some pitting where this was sitting...though no rust. I've included a pic of the pitting. Its above where the rings of the piston hit. There is also a small patch of pitting below the piston.

Cylinder 7 had about an inch of water on top of the piston which caused some light surface rust in the cylinder. I oiled that up, removed the piston and cannot feel any pitting. Another reason that I think last weeks rain caused the water. There is some pitting or scoring at the bottom of the cylinder below where the piston hits. Pic of this cylinder included.

Interesting enough, no water was in the oil that I could see. Apparently nothing was passing past these pistons.

All the rest of the cylinders look great. If is wasn't for the 2 problem cylinders, I might get away with a honing. May still but I'm looking for expert opinions.

The camshaft has some small surface rust where it meets the distributor. pic included.

Pistons all look smooth. No scoring though I will have to replace at least one that was quite stuck. Broke the wood trying to push it out so I just grabbed my breaker bar, stuffed a rag in the cylinder and then beat the crap out of it. 15 minutes later it finally came out. Interestingly enough, there wasn't a mark in that cylinder, but I did take a small chip from the bottom of the piston. That was cylinder 1.

Included pic of the heads, but its obvious that these will need all new valves and a complete rebuild.

Rod bearings were worn, but the wear was even across the board. Haven't pulled the crank yet. No sign of water damage below cylinders.

And lastly, I stripped the first 1/2" of the threads out of the crank trying to get it to turn. Can that be repaired or does it have to be replaced?

I'm planning on taking the block and heads into a shop and have them cleaned and checked out and conditioned. But I'm always leary of that without having an idea myself of what I actually need to do....LOL. What they say and what I actually need may be 2 different things.

Attachments

• camshaft1.jpg
    camshaft1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • cylinder1.jpg
    cylinder1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • cylinder2.jpg
    cylinder2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0

sieg100

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser Engine Assessment

I'm also searching the web for engine rebuild kits. Can I use a regular 79 305 car rebuild kit for this?

Whats the difference between a 79 camaro 305 master rebuild kit and a 79 mercruiser master 305 rebuild kit?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

would like some feedback on what I can fix and what just plain needs replaced. ing. May still but I'm looking for expert opinions.

Now might be an excellent time to replace the 305 with a 350.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

best use for that 305 is an anchor, go find a 350 bare block, have it honed or bored, hone the crank and cam berings, and go to PAW they sell full rebuild kits for a good price and i think they stock marine stuff as well.

sieg100

Cadet

Now might be an excellent time to replace the 305 with a 350.

Been considering that. I have a line on a recently rebuilt 350 4 bolt mains from a 76 pickup that he is selling cheap (300 bucks). I know that I would have to change out the camshaft to a marine cam, the head gaskets to steel and possibly the freeze plugs if they aren't brass. Would an engine from a 76 350 work?

I'm concerned about my current flywheel and coupler attaching to this engine properly. Is the crank end the same? What else may I have problems with?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I know that I would have to change out the camshaft to a marine cam, the head gaskets to steel and possibly the freeze plugs if they aren't brass. Would an engine from a 76 350 work?

I'm concerned about my current flywheel and coupler attaching to this engine properly. Is the crank end the same? What else may I have problems with?

Head gaskets in a marine application don't use steel, rust.
Core plugs are brass.
Decent marine camshafts are everywhere. Don't go nuts.
Flywheel should come with the engine, your coupler will bolt right up.
The crankshafts are dimensionally the same, weighted differently, crankshafts/flywheels/balancers stay with the block, don't switch them.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

camshaft might be okay compare the specs to a marine cam. some say they are the same as a truck.

sieg100

Cadet

Flywheel should come with the engine, your coupler will bolt right up.

Isn't here a difference between a marine flywheel and a truck or car flywheel? A 350 flywheel in a truck or car is just the thin plate isn't it? The flywheels I see in the 305 and replacement marine engines look like they are heavier and thicker.

I could understand how the coupler would attach even with the thinner plates, but what happens with the spacing between the coupler and the driveshaft. The coupler would be farther away because of the difference in plate thickness. Would this cause any problems or is there still plenty of grip between the driveshaft and the coupler?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

camshaft might be okay compare the specs to a marine cam. some say they are the same as a truck.

That is often said, but in reallity the Truck cams. (not baby pickup trucks) are similar/close, in some respects, to a marine cam. But, they are not exactly the same as marine cams. RV cams are even closer, but not the same.
Neither Volvo or Mercuriser publish complete specs for their cams. So don't expect to find them.

sieg100

Cadet

That is often said, but in reallity the Truck cams. (not baby pickup trucks) are similar/close, in some respects, to a marine cam. But, they are not exactly the same as marine cams. RV cams are even closer, but not the same.

I agree with you. I've seen marine cams for 100 bucks. I'd have the heads off anyway so a cam replacement is just a step away.

What do you think about the flywheel? Use the one thats on the truck 350, the one from my 305? Or will I need a new marine one specifically for a 350?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

What do you think about the flywheel? Use the one thats on the truck 350, the one from my 305? Or will I need a new marine one specifically for a 350?

Do you know the difference between a standard (stick) transmission and the automatic transmission? You will have to get the standard transmission flywheel.

sieg100

Cadet

Do you know the difference between a standard (stick) transmission and the automatic transmission? You will have to get the standard transmission flywheel.

I've never tore down an engine from a standard transmission before so I've never seen the flywheel. Just learned something. I've only seen flywheels for automatics.

Chances are the engine I'll get will be from an automatic. Will my 305 flywheel work?

Also, what year range should I look for in an engine? Looked like about 76-85 on the 305 (or about that range). Is it the same with the 350? And does it matter if its 2 or 4 bolt main? I want to make sure everything else matches up when I install it in the boat.