Mercruiser 3.0L Operating Temp at 175f?

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all - we've been enjoying the tri-toon much this summer! Unfortunately on the 4th of July a friend decided to grab the controls while I was pushing off a sandbar and try to "power us out." Sucked a bunch of sand into the cooling system and stuck the thermostat in the open position. No biggie, took it in and had it replaced. It was the original on a 2004 Mercruiser so it was probably due anyway.

Now for my question:
- My old thermostat ran at 170-175F
- My new thermostat runs at 175F
I thought that these were 160F thermostats. Is it possible my temp gauge isn't calibrate correctly? Any way to verify the temp besides trying to stick a thermostat into the quick-drain holes?

And if it is actually running at 175, am I hurting anything?

Boat is an 04 Suntracker Party Barge Regency w/ 3.0L Mercruiser I/O

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Operating Temp at 175f?

Well that's one way. But you could try the old thermo in a pan of water on the stove with a thermometer probe trick it's close but not 100% unless you have a multi meter with a temprature probe. Also did you clean off the sending unit after replacing the thermostat? worth a try but anyway I think 175 is a little high my 96 3.0LX runs @145-150 but it could be the stat and year difference for sure. good luck hope it helps.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L Operating Temp at 175f?

a friend decided to grab the controls while I was pushing off a sandbar and try to "power us out." Sucked a bunch of sand into the cooling system

Ayuh,... I Wonder what all that Sand did to the waterpump housing,+ Impeller,..??..??