1975 70hp Evinrude trouble... pls help

billy4hp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 70hp Evinrude trouble... pls help

heres a video let me know if you need any more info.
it wont go full throttle under load....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZp_mY31Tt8

Well the video didn't provide much info, sorry... It's sounds a little ratty and since the boat isn't in the water I couldn't get much from it...

So have the carb's been rebuilt, does it have a good spark on all three cyl's, and what condition are the spark plugs in (fouled, gapped properly, etc)?

If the carb's have been rebuilt and the spark is good, have you done a link and sync?

Here's a link to some good general info: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

When you say it won't go WOT under a load does it, misfire, backfire, fall on it's face, quit running completely?

HTH

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

video would not load.

JohnnyFire

Seaman Apprentice

Well what i have done so far is plug replace and gap.
new switchbox.
As for the response of the motor.
put it this way
16ft fiberglass skiff with no floor only me a batt and a gas tank.
i couldnt even get on plane but no stutter or stall or even a single missfire.
it seems like my old dirtbike couldnt get up a hill unless in first(badcompression)
but this motor has 151lbs in each cylinder.
just last night i fired it again an started to pull each wire one at a time and replace it ....
bottom cylinder with wire on or off doesnt seem to make a difference with its performance.
how can i test the sensors under the flywheel via the wire leads on the switchbox(orange leads).

be back after work to hear your answers.
thanks so far.
if video wont load update flash player.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check all the plugs for spark,but I would bet it is a clogged jet in the carb.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Actually, your video is helpful - you just have to listen closely. What I think that I hear is a cylinder that is not firing. Mixed in with normal exhaust sounds is a hollowing "popping" sound that is indicative of lack of ignition in one cylinder.

Put an inductive timing light on the motor, one spark plug wire at a time. If you have lack of ignition in one cylinder, that wil tell you which one it is.

When you say that you replaced the "switchbox," I am assuming that you mean the powerpack. Having done so, however, does not mean that you have eliminated all possible sources of an ignition failure. You could have a bad sensor in the timer base or a bad coil. You could also have a bad spark wire or the clip assembly inside of the boot could be loose.

Checking a coil can be as simple as swapping it with a coil that is known to be good. As for the timer base, I recommend buying a factory manual for your motor. In the chapter for the ignition system, there should be a procedure for doing an ohms test on the sensor coils.

On my 1972 65hp Johnson, the values are 8.5 ohms plus or minus 1 ohm, when checking from the individual sensor leads to the common lead. It should also read "infinity" when checking to ground. That said, your timer base part # is different than mine. That may or may not be significant, because some of the part numbers on shop.evinrude.com are superseded part numbers, not necessarily different parts. I note that the CDI (aftermarket manufacturer) replacement part for both of our motors is their part number 133-1251 and the shop.evinrude OMC/BRP part number for your timer base is 581251. As such, the above test values are probably right for your motor.

Check the security of the spark plug wire in the coil too. The wires are inserted into the coil by screwing them onto a threaded post in the recessed cup of the coil. I've had them come loose, but not completely out of the coil, with a misfire as a result. If this is the case, clip about a 1/4" off the end of the wire and re-install.

Let us know how you make out.

JohnnyFire

Seaman Apprentice

goin to do the check with the meter today these past few days have been crazy no time to work on it.
i cant seem to get my coil wires out of the coil according to the method you spoke of i have done that in the past working on many moped, dirtbike's.

but these seem to be soldered in. i didnt want to break them. but hopefully if i need parts the 1975 55hp evinrude that was just given to me will be compatible.(its top end and carbs are frozen.)

(UPDATE)
Sensor 3 has open on meter sensors 1 and 2 are 8 ohm.
time to order a complete set.
thanks for your help!

IBOATS CREW!

Last edited:

JohnnyFire

Seaman Apprentice

goin to do the check with the meter today these past few days have been crazy no time to work on it.
i cant seem to get my coil wires out of the coil according to the method you spoke of i have done that in the past working on many moped, dirtbike's.

but these seem to be soldered in. i didnt want to break them. but hopefully if i need parts the 1975 55hp evinrude that was just given to me will be compatible.(its top end and carbs are frozen.)

(UPDATE)
Sensor 3 has open on meter sensors 1 and 2 are 8 ohm.
time to order a complete set.
thanks for your help!

IBOATS CREW!
Does anyone wanna sell my there timing base that works?
best price i can find is on this site at !! 263.00$!!
for a replacement timing base.
I'll trade my 1975 55hp evinrude complete but top end is frozen.
pm me. asap