Evinrude 150 '85 Powering to WOT once in awhile

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice
Some History:

Compression between 80-85 on all 6
Replaced VRO with replacement kit
Use seafoam on about every fill up

I have had problems with this motor for the past 4 years and have used this site multiple times. I think I'm close, but still not quite there. I continue to think it's a fuel issue, but now I'm not sure (maybe electrical??). I have learned a lot about my motor, but am definitely not a mechanic.

When I took it out for the first time this year, it just didn't act right--stalled a few times even after warmed up, but started up right away each time(Although, I never tried to open it up, just idled around). So, I decided to take it in to the local marina. The mechanic didn't act too enthused about taking on my old motor, but said that he would take a look at it. Anyway to make a long story short, he said that the compression was too low and it was on its way out. He told me that he did run it, and it powered up fine. He suggested to go down to a 21 pitch prop to plane out quicker, but I didn't think that was the problem. So, I took it out the day I got it back and it ran great....I was very happy (only short lived).

This past week, I was on the lake everyday, and ran into some problems. When I first would start it and let it warm up, it would power up great and was able to open it up to WOT. Then, when I had to go through channels at idle speed and would try to open it up, it wouldn't go. Sometimes it would act like it would go, and then bog down. It would run great at about 10-15 mph, but just not power up. Sometimes after I had it off for awhile, it would power back up. Basically it would work about 1/4 of the time.

I just don't get why it will work sometimes, but not others!!!

Please help, and sorry for the long post.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 150 '85 Powering to WOT once in awhile

Have someone pump the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump) when this problem ocurrs (actually before you start to increase the throttle). If the problem ceases to exist, suspect the fuel pump/VRO.

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys...
I have tried squeezing the bulb, which did really help one time a couple years ago. That's what lead me (due to this forum) to buy the kit for the VRO pump. After I replaced that, it really does not seem to help (pumping the bulb that is). However, I have not tried it right before I hit the throttle. I will definitely try that, but I think I had better take a look at the carbs considering they probably have never been cleaned. What's the best cleaning solution? Also, should I replace all fuel hoses even the ones that go to the VRO? If so, could someone give me a part number on all hoses I should replace? The original part numbers in my manual are really outdated and getting hard to track down.

I have already ordered the Carb repair kits...anything else I will need?

BTW...my prop is a 25 pitch...should I go down to a 21?
Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Possible you are dropping a cylinder: When the engine is not running right and is under load, put an inductive timing light on all 6 plug wires to check for spark. A 25 pitch prop is a lot of bite for that engine, but it depends on the weight and design of the hull. The correct prop for your boat will let it run 5500-5600 at throttle and full trim.

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice

Anybody have the part numbers on the fuel lines I should replace or any other advice? Thanks

sabbett4

Seaman Apprentice

Top RPM: 5,000 RPM