89 Force 85 hp, hard time idle and taking off

dmcwsu

Recruit
I have a 89 Force 85hp that starts great when I blast a little starting fluid (which I now know is BAD). However, when I'm out in the water and sit for a bit then try and start, I have to give it full throttle in neutral to get it to start, and in worse case scenario blast it with a lil more starting fluid then it fires up. If I drop it down to idle it dies. If I want to go I have to drop it down from full throttle neutral to drive real quick so that way she takes off. Any idea what could be the problem here? I replaced the fuel bulb last year and it stays hard now. Any ideas would be very helpful, thanks!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 89 Force 85 hp, hard time idle and taking off

Hi,

It is probably the gas we have to use these days. After shutting off your engine it builds heat inside the cowling. (no water to cool it anymore) This causes the gas to boil out of the carbs. So when you start it up there is very little gas in the carbs so it runs poor and will be hard to start and it will not idle well because the fuel level in the carbs is low. One thing to do is pump up the primer bulb before you try to start it up. This will fill the carb bowls up and it should start good and idle well. If it still does not work then it is another problem.

john from md

Commander

Do you have any mechanical ability and do you have a manual for the engine?

John

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the same motor and the same problem. at full throttle it goes great. when i back the motor from full to 1/4 throttle it dies on me. it also seems to take a long time to warm up before i can give it full throttle to take off. i am fairly hand with motors. have any suggestions?????

john from md

Commander

mainejohn,

Please start another thread and give engine model info and what maintenance has been done and when the problem started.

John

dmcwsu

Recruit

I do have the manual somewhere, and I am some what handy with motors. Any suggestions??

john from md

Commander

First you need to take a health check of your engine. Do a compression test and see what you get. Also, with it idling in gear, (tie it to the dock) note what idle rpm is.

You haven't said anything about replacing your plugs. Have you and when? Have you ever cleaned them at all?

Get back with the info.

John