Anyone added a K&N Flame Arrestor?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Anyone added one of these to their vortec 4.3 or other engine? If so, what specifically did you gain?

45Auto

Commander
Re: Anyone added a K&N Flame Arrestor?

I would be real interested in seeing any testing on any gains (besides a cooler looking flame arrester maybe) or losses attributed to changing a spark arrester. Of course, once someone has spent the money, the "seat of the pants" testing invariably proves it is faster, better, etc ....... :)

erikgreen

Captain

I'm pretty sure your whole "gain" would be a shiny new look.

As long as the old flame arrestor let enough air in to keep the carb happy the new one would just do the same. It's not like you're adding forced induction to the engine or anything.

If you set up an air intake pointing forward with some method for keeping the water out and ran the tube back to the top of the carb you might pick up a little performance from the slight extra pressure at speed. But not a lot, and not enough to "feel" seat of the pants wise.

All that said I've been thinking of picking up a new suppressor just because I like having my expensive well cared for engine look good, too :)

Erik

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Easy way to find out.

Have your buddy drive down the lake at WOT, whilst underway, remove the flame arrestor.

If there is any performance gain to be had, you will obviously accelerate.

Or I can save you the time and just tell you that you wont...

There's been a few claim wild performance gains, but I suspect their flame arrester just needed cleaning.

BILL INGRAHAM

Seaman

i'd like to see a uscg approved cold air intake setup as my eng house gets quite warm. some after market TBI auto ones are all metal w/ K&N filter.