58 Super Sea Horse 35hp, vintage guru's please HELP

Hey ya'l...

I have a 58 Johnson super sea horse 35hp that I have been using in the local bay for fishing.. Well I have noticed that it seems to load up at idle and not perform at all in open water. I have been trying to fix this for a while now and Im at my wits end on this one.. so far I have replaced:

Coils, points, wires, plugs, condensors, gap at .020

carb has been cleaned and blown out with compressed air, float is level with bowl. needles are set to 1 3/4 out and 3/4 for high speed.

compression is at 115psi and I have done a de-carb clean on the motor

it will stuart fine bt need alot of throttle to keep idle high enough to idle. if it's to low, it will sparaticly miss on both cylinders as if it was loading up with fuel.. I can putt around the harbor all day but as soon as it wants to plane out the motor cant take the load and seems to load up an run on one cylinder( i have disconnected the cut off switch on the side of the motor to rule that out)

when doing one of my head scratching sessions and looking over the motor I found something od with the throttle linkage

boat006.jpg

if you look at the pic the linkage bar is connected to the lower eye of the timing roller. this puts the throttle position at about 80% open:eek:.. I looked and looked through my seloc manual and found one fuzzy picture that showed it hooked into the top hole.

boat007.jpg

this puts the throttle plate at the closed position and I thought to myself "BINGO" this must be it!

so I made a bushing and tried it out......

wouldnt even start:mad::confused:

I can get it running if I put it in the lower hole but when I try to move the rod back to the top it wont even idle.. I made a little video for you your vewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uCMeGBSbs

I can only imagine that the previous owner moved the linkage to fix a pe-existing problem, but what that is I dont know..

Please someone point me in the right direction, I would like to get back on the water...

boat008.jpg

lindy46

Captain
Re: 58 Super Sea Horse 35hp, vintage guru's please HELP

Sounds like a link & sync problem. When the cam hits the mark on the follower, the throttle plate should just begin to open. When fully advanced to the "fast" position, the throttle plate should be horizontal (wide open).

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay. Check this first: with the throttle at/near Start, look in the carb throat at the back/rear butterfly. It should be just barely cracked open, not fully closed. The little roller at the top of the carb linkage should be just touching the cam plate. Move the shift lever into F, engine not running of course. As you advance the throttle to Fast, the rear carb butterfly should open fully and smoothly. In other words, your carb is synched to the timing advance. If that is okay, check the linkage from the cam roller back to the spot TD marked in red in his post/photo. You should be able to easily go from Idle/Stop to Fast with the motor in F gear by turning the throttle handle. Yours may be bound up or need some lube. Watch the linkage at the back of the powerhead up under the flywheel and you'll see how it operates. Make sure everything there is free and not bound up. Your carb linkage looks right. I bet something is bound up or cruddy with the rear linkage, if your carb is synched right to the timing advance. Also remember that in N you won't be able to advance the timing/throttle all the way...it's designed that way. Post back and let us know how it goes.

The timing has been adjusted to were the throttle is starting to open when the marks are aligned.. is there any other adjustments besides the timming and the rod under the flywheel?

the rod under the flywheel looks to only effect WOT postition, or am I missing something?

Im going to fire it up and check for vacume leaks... could this be symptom of bad reeds? I only ask because I cant seem to figure this one out:mad:

thanks
Joe

worked on it again today with no luck.. No vacume leaks... It seams that the idle circut is'nt working like it should.. so I pulled th carb (again) and blew it out again.. no change..

Any other suggestions would be great:confused:

Joe

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was working on a '56 Javelin, and had a simlar problem. Found the needle needed to be in further than any other I'd ever seen. Check the mixture settings. Don't be affraid to go "extreme" to see the reaction.

Check the vacuum switch by taking it out of the circuit of the ignition. Disconnect the wire. Also check that wire for bare spots from rubbing on the flywheel or block. I had one that had a bare spot and would occassionally ground out one set of points as it passed through the range of throttle.

Good Luck!

Greg