RAMPS Some people you can't help

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife and I were at our local ramp last weekend waiting our turn to launch there were a couple before us, giving us plenty of time to get everything ready before we got to the ramp. Once we completed everything, loaded the boat and checked everything 3 times I walked to the ramp just to take a peak. There was a couple launching their new Bayliner 22+ with their?.Honda CRV. Not my place to say anything about their choice of tow vehicles so I just waited patiently for them to clear the ramp. They were having trouble getting the boat off the trailer so the guy backed it so far I could only see the top 2 inches of his rear rims. At this point?.I could no longer mind my own business. I asked the guy if he needed any help? He said shrugged and said no. I said to him in a straight face: That is a beautiful boat. (Just kidding I have nothing against Bayliners.).

Anyways he said ?ya?thanks?. Then I told him as nice as I could, It?s really not a good idea to back your truck that far into the water, completely submersing your hubs. He looked over at my rig particularly at my Ford truck, He cracked a smug grin and said ?It?s not a problem, this is a Honda?

Sometimes its better to just mind your own business.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: RAMPS Some people you can't help

"Ford people.. you'll never understand.. Honda's float way longer before sinking" :D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

anything can launch. It's the retrieving that the Honda will fail! I'd come back for that show.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

What else needs to be said about people who drive Honda's? :rolleyes:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

That is classic low key, best laugh I've had in a long time.

Thanks for the Friday night Chuckle ya'll

shoestring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what gets me is the people who like to stay tied up on the inside of the dock. it has always been my practice to launch and pull the boat to the outside to tie off while i park. same during recovery. if you have been off of the trailer for more than 5 minutes or dont plan on being back on your trailer within 5 minutes then tie up on the outside. and get ready in the "get ready lane" not at the bottom of the ramp. get in then get out, make room for the next fella. and try to help or offer help to the newbie, don't just watch and laugh. launch ramps when you are new at it are a pita. my local lake is open 24/7 however you cant get to the ramp after 6p. but once you are in you can stay. my 19 year old son is learning launch ramp manners, it was about dark, we had been boating for a few hours and it was time to go home. ramp was empty, he backed the trailer in, loaded the boat and pulled out. i had him drive around the lot and re- launch the boat, pull the empty trailer around the lot, back it back down and load it back up. now do it again, and again, and again. get it right now when no one is watching and it's not busy. he got it down pretty well. a few dozen more launces and recoveries and he'll end up helping the new guy.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

If it sucked some water in the differential thru the vent he'll have some problems down the road a ways.
Mike

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Reminds me of a situation back in the day when we would all go play in the mud east of Blackfoot Idaho. There is a resivoir that they drain in the fall each year and all the locals show up with there jacked up trucks, myself included, to see just how far you can get before getting stuck in the muck.
Anyway, me and my ex-wife are buried up to the frame in my 86 Blazer and a few other trucks did the same tring to pull us out. Sooo, here comes this guy in an old Jeep Cherokee and starts to slow down as he gets near us. We all start yelling for him to keep moving or he'll get stuck. Well this Jack A** stops to see what we were yelling. We tell him he should have kept moving because now the minute you try to move you will be stuck also......wait for it....wait for it..........this Jack A** looks at us and says with a straight face.

" I'm not stuck....Jeeps can go anywhere"

We all say ya what ever and wait for him to try and get moving. The minute he trys to move he sinks to his frame.

But Jeeps can go anywhere:rolleyes:

Nobody

Seaman

?It?s not a problem, this is a Honda?

Hopefully he'll never have to whoa that boat and trailer down in a panic stop, he might be singing a different tune if that day ever comes. :eek:

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

A Honda is OK behind a boat but in front :confused:
:p

scipper77

Commander

The wife and I were down to a Honda CRV or a Ford Escape as a vehicle purchase six or seven years ago. Ford was bigger, more powerful, a year newer, less money, and had running boards, tow package, roof rack, etc... I will acknowledge the reliability of Honda, but it's not like ford reliability is that far off. What is "that far off" in my opinion is what Honda offers for the same price. The resale point only goes so far for me, you still have to enjoy the vehicle while you own it. (not slamming Honda here, just saying why they aren't for me).

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, it's a honda. And the owner doesn't want to listen to anybody's advice or take the time to think about what is happening. Good mileage does not mean good sense. Wait til a piece of American Iron has to pull that rig out......WAIT, does having a honda make it easier or harder to ask for help,.....or to get it????????:D

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reminds me of a situation back in the day when we would all go play in the mud east of Blackfoot Idaho. There is a resivoir that they drain in the fall each year and all the locals show up with there jacked up trucks, myself included, to see just how far you can get before getting stuck in the muck.
Anyway, me and my ex-wife are buried up to the frame in my 86 Blazer and a few other trucks did the same tring to pull us out. Sooo, here comes this guy in an old Jeep Cherokee and starts to slow down as he gets near us. We all start yelling for him to keep moving or he'll get stuck. Well this Jack A** stops to see what we were yelling. We tell him he should have kept moving because now the minute you try to move you will be stuck also......wait for it....wait for it..........this Jack A** looks at us and says with a straight face.

We all say ya what ever and wait for him to try and get moving. The minute he trys to move he sinks to his frame.

But Jeeps can go anywhere:rolleyes:

I can tell you from experience that Jeeps cannot go everywhere! I had a wrangler that could still go in places that surprised me but if the mud was soft and deep enough it would sink like a rock.

As for a Honda as a tow vehicle I bet those ridgelines would well, I don't own one but I almost bought one. (bought a Toyota Sequoia instead) but it seemed like it would have done well.

jkust

Rear Admiral

He drank the Honda koolaid so he doesn't know any better.

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+ Rental cars