Hey guys can I take my boat out with my current tilt issue?

26fthawaiian

Seaman
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=332784

This was my other link from here, I was just wondering if I could still take my boat out and run it for a bit to see how she does or do I have to fix the tilt problem first? its the old school 280 drive, 1977 year, it has electro mech tilt or whatever its called. Can I take it out for a quick run or will my drive be floppin all over the place??? just wondering.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hey guys can I take my boat out with my current tilt issue?

With the drive up, running the engine for any length of time at anything above idle, you risk damage to the drive belows and u-joints. At least get the drive down before running it. I know what it's like to be anxious to get on the water but you can do some serious damage by running that motor with the drive up. In addition to the damage caused by running in forward, when you put it into reverse, the prop will pull the motor up, further exasperating the problem and possibly causing even more damage.

Go through the troube shooting steps to at least get the drive down before going out.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the drive is DOWN, yes, you can run it. Do not run it with the drive stuck up though. One thing you really need to be aware of with the old Volvo drives is the reverse latch assembly. They are known for wearing out, and the drive will kick up and flop around in reverse. Make sure yours actually latches down in reverse before getting into a situation where you need reverse and don't have it. You should be able to test it by shifting the drive to reverse and trying to pick it up (motor not running of course, unless you do not like your fingers). The drive should not lift up. If it does, you'll need to do some work on that locking pawl system.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Being in gear or not shouldn't make any difference with the lock. The lift mechanism pushes down on the pushrod and that releases the pawls. The pawls should be engaged in forward, neutral, and reverse.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah, OK. Memory is fuzzy on that whole system, I've worked on one probably 5 years ago and attempted to fix it using worn out parts the owner provided. I remember the family having a Donzi with a floppy reverse some 20 years ago, and I'll confess I was not much of a mechanic at 8 years old :) I just remember having no reverse and watching the drive flop around.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

:) yeah anxious is a understatement, especially since I put thru hull exhaust on it and it sounds awesome!!! ok , the drive at the moment is all the way down, or almost all the way down, I see the little plunger thingy in there and its about a inch to 3/4 of a inch pushed out, in neutral I can lift the drive all the way up it doesnt lock, I havent tried it in reverse though Ill do that in a lil bit . Thanks you guys for helpin me out I hella appreciate it !!! so in reverse with the engine off I shouldnt be able to lift the drive correct? ok ill have a look after dinner.:)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You shouldn't be able to lift the drive at all if the pawls catch - in or out of gear doesn't matter. The shaft button on the lift mechanism pushed down on the pushrod (the plunger thingy) and releases the pawls so the outdrive will lift up. It will NOT lock in place if the lift mechanism is pressing on the pushrod. When you put it into reverse in that position, the prop will pull the outdrive up and you'll be creating a blender at the surface of the water that can slice and dice anyone and anything that gets too close :eek:. Oh yea - it will also beat the crap out of your bellows, u-joints, and possibly the bellhousing snout.

Don't get so excited about getting out on the water that you only see what you want to see. We're trying to help you out here but ya gotta listen!

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so in reverse with the engine off I shouldnt be able to lift the drive correct? ok ill have a look after dinner.:)

Being in gear or not shouldn't make any difference with the lock. The lift mechanism pushes down on the pushrod and that releases the pawls. The pawls should be engaged in forward, neutral, and reverse.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

You shouldn't be able to lift the drive at all if the pawls catch - in or out of gear doesn't matter. The shaft button on the lift mechanism pushed down on the pushrod (the plunger thingy) and releases the pawls so the outdrive will lift up. It will NOT lock in place if the lift mechanism is pressing on the pushrod. When you put it into reverse in that position, the prop will pull the outdrive up and you'll be creating a blender at the surface of the water that can slice and dice anyone and anything that gets too close :eek:. Oh yea - it will also beat the crap out of your bellows, u-joints, and possibly the bellhousing snout.

Don't get so excited about getting out on the water that you only see what you want to see. We're trying to help you out here but ya gotta listen!

I hear ya man , no worries, Im going to straighten out the drive situation first before I take it out. This is tomorrows project. Thanks for the lookin out :)

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for taking time outa ur day to help with the periods. no really, thanks .

Thanks for taking the time outta your day to read the answers you were given.
You already had the information, I just reposted it.

Maclin

Admiral

What happens when you need to slow down quickly and the drive loses it's "motivation" to stay down? With the engine running the u-joints are at engine speed with the drive trying to move up as far as the water can push it.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Thanks for taking the time outta your day to read the answers you were given.
You already had the information, I just reposted it.

Oh is that what you did ma bad sorry man.. I was tired when I read that last night.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

What happens when you need to slow down quickly and the drive loses it's "motivation" to stay down? With the engine running the u-joints are at engine speed with the drive trying to move up as far as the water can push it.

Yeah I was thinking of this also. All I know is that right now my boat is in neutral on the stick and I can still lift up my outdrive coz its not locked im kinda bummed about that.

captmello

Captain

Have you done anything to try to fix the problem?

Once you can identify the problem, those lift assemblies are not hard to fix. Can be expensive, but not hard.:rolleyes:

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Have you done anything to try to fix the problem?

Once you can identify the problem, those lift assemblies are not hard to fix. Can be expensive, but not hard.:rolleyes:

Ok well, I went out there and looked at the outdrive again, it seems to me like the electro mechanical lift rod thingy sitting inside of the outdrive area is not letting my drive drop down all the way, its extended out about a inch, so my drive isnt all the way dropped, so I went inside the boat and put it in reverse (engine not running) and my drive isnt locked it still can be picked up, now that is because the lift rod thing is extended some and not allowing my drive to drop all the way??
As soon as it cools off Im going to hook up that extra wire which was not connected and see if it will work. Its almost 5 here now, I'll be hooking it up in a couple hours and see what happens Capt. :)

captmello

Captain

Make sure you make a good clean connection at the bellhousing. Its easy, Five minutes. Bring a little sand paper and a socket set.

26fthawaiian

Seaman

I'm going out there in about 10 mins bro , i'll be back on here in just a little bit :]

26fthawaiian

Seaman

Yo Capt, I hooked up the wire in question to the bellhousing and it made no difference, and I then noticed that it does look like the drive is almost all of the way down, its almost touching the prop bar thing down below, but that plunger lift thing still looks like its extended by a inch, so I put the boat into reverse and the drive wont lock still, its still able to be picked up, :( the black box with the two allen screws in it, well one is loose and wont tighten and it feels liek the black box is loose as it moves around the shaft it sits on kinda easily. IDK man, what should I do next?

captmello

Captain

I'm going out there in about 10 mins bro , i'll be back on here in just a little bit :]

10 min? try 12 hours.:)

The box is supposed to be a little loose. It should turn but not move up and down. Inside that box is a limit switch that stops the tilt mechanism when it is fully down. With any luck that is your problem.

Have a look at this link

http://www.volvopentastore.com/MECHANICAL_LIFT_DEVICE_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_280_EARLY_TYPE/dm/*******.150175973--**********.271923888--store_id.366--view_id.327380

Inside the black box is a trim limit switch.

The trim limit switch is held in place by the cover of the black box. Go take off the cover of the box and have a look at the switch. make sure it clicks in and out.

Does it look like this at the outdrive? Is the shaft down an inch on yours, touching the arm from the drive? Can you see the stainless steel sleeve coming through the drive arm on yours?

Thrustsleeve.jpg
[/IMG]