1976 35hp Evinrude - motor mounting

TheGoatBoat

Recruit
I just purchased this motor from a dealer mechanic that says he just went through and rebuilt the motor and bottom end. I have never worked on outboards but did autos for years. I got it running for the first time and it ran really rough. I thought it was due to the rich fuel mix - 25:1. Then it progressively got worse and was running on one cyl. After swaping the coils from one to the other cyl it seemed the #1 cyl (top) was not firing under load. I removed the flywheel and found the condenser loose and small gap on the points. I straighted the points out to make contact across the whole contact area and set to .020. Went back out at it ran great mostly. I was going out today and was letting it warm up at the dock and it sputtered a little and then died. After playing around trying to clean the plugs and restart, I noticed the elec. choke was loose and laying in the bottom of the case. I found one of the screws so I decided to take off the carb to reassemble it. Starting to get worried about under torqued bolts. And I did find a few others. Then I found the stud on the port side of the motor, just forward of the throttle linkage, that seems to be for mounting the motor to the bottom end, only has a the nut held on by a couple of threads. Looking from the bottom I can see it sticking out of the threaded hole. I need to run it back up but the motor mount is in the way. I tried loosening the cowling around the bottom of the motor but still can't really get to it. Now on to my question. Can I just remove the bolts that hold the motor down to pop it up a bit and run that stud back up? I am not sure how the motor connects to the bottom end and don't want stuff to fall apart from pulling it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vern

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 35hp Evinrude - motor mounting

I just purchased this motor from a dealer mechanic that says he just went through and rebuilt the motor and bottom end. I have never worked on outboards but did autos for years. I got it running for the first time and it ran really rough. I thought it was due to the rich fuel mix - 25:1. Then it progressively got worse and was running on one cyl. After swaping the coils from one to the other cyl it seemed the #1 cyl (top) was not firing under load. I removed the flywheel and found the condenser loose and small gap on the points. I straighted the points out to make contact across the whole contact area and set to .020. Went back out at it ran great mostly. I was going out today and was letting it warm up at the dock and it sputtered a little and then died. After playing around trying to clean the plugs and restart, I noticed the elec. choke was loose and laying in the bottom of the case. I found one of the screws so I decided to take off the carb to reassemble it. Starting to get worried about under torqued bolts. And I did find a few others. Then I found the stud on the port side of the motor, just forward of the throttle linkage, that seems to be for mounting the motor to the bottom end, only has a the nut held on by a couple of threads. Looking from the bottom I can see it sticking out of the threaded hole. I need to run it back up but the motor mount is in the way. I tried loosening the cowling around the bottom of the motor but still can't really get to it. Now on to my question. Can I just remove the bolts that hold the motor down to pop it up a bit and run that stud back up? I am not sure how the motor connects to the bottom end and don't want stuff to fall apart from pulling it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vern

I dunno, I'll have to go out and look at mine in the morning and see if I can figure out what nut you are talking about.

That "dealer mechanic" must be a real genius. Guys like that give us all a bad name. It scares me to think about what else he has gone through.