cooking what ya catch

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer
i'm looking for ways to cook fish my wifes sick of it fried

splugeeman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: cooking what ya catch

My wife dosen't like fish...which is good for me.........more for me! I'l take beer batter deep fried anyday!. Broiling for a fish "steak" is always good. I am sure you've enjoyed it already ..but Swordfish is awesome this way!! :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Muskyone.<br /><br />Different fish cook best different ways.<br /><br />I cook catfish in my George Forman grill with no fat or grease. Roll filets in seasoned coarse yellow corn meal and pop'em in.<br /><br />Corn meal is seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and sometimes some dried basil.<br /><br />Salmon filets are marinated in teriyaki, Worstershire and ginger for about an hour, then alder smoked in my Cameron's stove top smoker.<br /><br />Mahimahi filets are basted with white wine, butter, lime juice, salt, pepper and minced fresh garlic and are broiled in my oven broiler.<br /><br />There are a few. I'll bet others have some mouth watering suggestions.<br /><br />Enjoy! :)

FLATHEAD

Captain

Here is one of my favorites. A little bit of work but really good.<br /><br />10 oz fresh asparagus cut up<br />1 1/2 pounds of fillets<br />1/4 cup butter<br />1 onion chopped fine<br />1/3 cup flour<br />1 cup milk<br />1 1/3 cup chedder cheese shredded<br />1/4 tsp salt<br />1/4 tsp pepper<br />1 cup crushed soda crackers<br />spread asparagus on bottm of baking dish and put fillets on top of that. in a sauce pan melt 3 tbs butter add onion. stir in the flour, blend in the milk,when it gets thick add the cheese salt and pepper,once the cheese is melted pour this stuff real nice over them fillets. Then melt remaing butter add cracker crumbs. put this stuff on top of the cheese sauce. Bake in oven for about 40 minutes. <br /><br />It aint as hard as it sounds to do and it is a great way to cook fish. If'n you hate asparagus use green beans or something.<br />-------------<br />Flathead

Fly Rod

Commander

Roasted Fish your choice of fish<br />fish fillets,s&p to taste<br />grease a baking sheet with a little olive oil<br />put fillets on baking sheet drizzle a little olive oil on top [optional]<br />roast at 350degrees 10 minutes or so<br />GRANNY SMITH Apple Butter Sauce [optional]<br />1 apple diced;2tablespoons of brown sugar;1/4cup hard cider;1/4cup heavy cream<br />2sticks unsalted butter cut into pieces<br />In medium sauce pan combine diced apples,sugar, and hard cider. Cook over med. high heat until apples are translucent add creamand cook until reduced by half about 3 minutes. add butter several pieces at a time wisk constantly add s&p remove from heat,cover to keep warm till ready to serve.<br />When fish is served add sauce over fillets.<br />You could also Broil your fish insted of roasting

ebbtide176

Commander

dang you guys know how to cook... i'm jealous.<br /><br />musky1- you gotta keep the family yearning for more fish. my mother always sautee's them. i've tried them in the oven in a casserole dish, but i'm still working on that one.<br /><br />best to me is in foil on the bbq with a little butter. sometimes i adds greenbeans, potatoes, or onions. if you're really careful, then just put out the foil on the grate and lay fish on top. use low,low heat. and (dry)season heavily. <br /><br />my fav is teriyaki sauce, not too sweet, not too strong. good for bigger fillets. flip twice only, unless you're not sure.<br /><br />but i can not cook anything but fish or steak(on the grill) ;)

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No one poaches fish anymore. Try it poached with Old Bay (to taste) and serve with melted butter, with just a touch of lemon and lime juice on the side.<br /><br />Striped bass cut into 1½-inch cubes and poached can't be beat. Around my house it is as popular as lobster, or oysters.<br /><br />Fish Stakes ¾-inch thick broiled until a frozen butter patty on top of it melts, then flipped and broiled until another frozen butter patty melts is great also. Cooking until the frozen butter patty melts means you don't over or under cook. Its just right every time.<br /><br />Another fish marinade/sauce is melted butter, a dash of Wochester (or however its spelled) lemon juice, lime juice, and peper.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey Flathead, What kind of fish do you use with that recipe? It sounds good and cheesy. Mmmmm.<br /><br />muskyone, From the sounds of it, these guys are using fish with a little more, umm, "flavor." I would be strung up to the nearest tree if I ever served a delicate walleye or perch with such strong seasonings. <br /><br />Pan fried with very little butter, broiled, or steamed. Baked on a bed of white and wild rice, or pilaf. Lemon, chives, salt, white pepper, garlic, real paprika, mix and match, they all go together.<br /><br /> The onions stay in the other pan with the potatos. Baby carrots, asparagus, applesauce, bread and butter.<br /><br />Sometimes I will use a boxed seasoned breading mix from the store. The cajan stuff ain't bad, but you can't taste the fish very well. I prefer the seasonings to match the fishes taste. Crappie, northern, and bluegill get more seasoning, catfish gets a ton. Bass don't get eaten here.<br /><br />Does anyone have any suggestions for walleyes? I've got a ten day fishing trip coming up and we eat wally and northern at least twice a day. Plus shorelunch some days.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Roscoe.<br /><br />Here you go.<br /><br />2T butter<br />1 t dried chives (or fresh wild garlic chives, if available)<br />1 lb walleye filets.<br />salt and perpper to taste.<br /><br />melt the butter in a small pan or bowl. Add chives and let stand for a few minutes.<br /><br />Dip the walleye filets in the mixture and place on a large piece of foil. S&P to taste. Add 2 T water.<br /><br />Now cover the filets with 1.5 cups of cooked wild rice. Seal the foil.<br /><br />Cook on low heat on the outdoor grill for about 20 min.<br /><br />I also like Walleye rolled in lightly seasoned cornmeal and fried in not-too-hot butter. This is how we eat walleye for breakfast and dinner when at the LOTW camp. Shore lunch walleye are deep fried. Yep, three times a day for a week. :D <br /><br />An excellent wine for/with either dish is Blue Nun, chilled.<br /><br />Dad Gummit! Now I'm hungry.

muskyone

wow those all look really good and will be tried keep them comeing my way is saltiens and cheese it crackers seson salt ground in a blender roll fillet in egg breading deep fry

LadyFish

Admiral

Wow, those all sound great guys.<br /><br />Here are a few of my standard ways of cooking fish.<br /><br />For stronger fish, I pat dry the fish run them thru some yellow mustard, then cornmeal and deep fry.<br /><br />For milder fish like snapper, I set oven to 375, put filets in a large baking dish, sprinkle with italian salad dressing, salt, pepper, squeeze of lemon, cajun seasoning and top with bread crumbs then pats of butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the filets, then turn broiler on for about 3-5 minutes to make the top crusty. It's one of the healthier ways to cook fish.<br /><br />I also like to blacken fish. Melt butter in microwave, run fish thru melted butter, sprinkle with Paul Prudones Blackening Season and fry in a dry cast iron skillet. The skillet must be almost smoking when you put the fish in. IT only takes a few minutes a side, but plan on smoking up the house. Drizzle with fresh lemon juice.<br /><br />When all else fails, beer and flour to make a batter then deep fry. :)

rwise

Captain

Here's one that's not listed yet,<br />1 package crab or shrimp boil<br />water per directions<br />cut fish into 1 inch cubes, drop into boiling seasoned water just until they float. Over cook and they fall apart!<br />Richard

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My favorite way to cook my catch..<br /><br />Go out offshore and catch the fish of your choice, and bring your catch directly to the Saifish Marina's Resturant... <br /><br />They'll clean it, cook it (any way you wish), sevre it with all the veggies and goodies for $14 (or there abouts).... Jump back in the boat and go home full...<br /><br />Best part is, No kitchen mess to clean up afterwards... :D <br /><br />I'm LAZY... :p

blipship

Seaman Apprentice

If you catch a lot blue gill sometime and dont know what to do with them try this...<br /><br />BLUEGIL CHOWDER<br /><br />1 Can of Potato soup <br />Pint of milk <br />Fresh Minced onion <br />1 tsp Parsley <br />Dilute a can of potato soup with a pint of milk; heat to just simmering.<br />Add fresh minced onions, to your taste, and a level teaspoon of parsley.<br />Simmer until onions are transparent.<br />Add salt and pepper to suit.<br />Add your Bluegil fillets (do not allow to boil).<br />Stew until fillets become translucent.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone who cooks spring chinook other than broiling on the grill with a little lemon should have his fishing credentials jerked for life. Summer and fall salmon can have butter, lemon or lime, onions and garlic. I cook on a sheet of foil spread on the grill.<br />2) Take cooked (or not cooked) fish of any species, break up in a bowl, add green onions, garlic, green peppers (to taste), a beaten egg, crackers, lemon, parsley. Form into patties, fry.<br />3) A good fish sauce can be made from: to a mayo base, add chopped jalapeno-stuffed olives, a little ketchup, Tabasco sauce (green and red) and lemon. It's better the longer it sits (in your refrigerator, of course).<br />4) Paceno (sp?), the Japanese bread crumbs make a terrific light breading. A heavier breading is Bisquick and milk.<br />5)Heart attack special: fresh trout (or walleye). Use real butter, saute (means fry up, in French) slowly in a cast iron skillet. Keep the butter at almost 1/4" deep (add more butter, if necessary). When the skin is crispy, turn carefully, then fry the other side. Add lemon towards the end. <br />Come to think of it, dirt would taste good fried in butter and lemon.

crab bait

Captain

HOLEY MOLEY ,, you guys are killin' me..!!<br /><br />i'd diffinately show up at 'REDENVIOUS' if'n i'd knows you folks was gonna be there cookin'...!!!<br /><br />an if we can't.... FISH FRY at JB'S..!!

crab bait

Captain

they's some mighty fine recippe's .. but i ain't lyin'.. you ought try this at least once....<br /><br />i was partnered up ,at work,with a guy from newfounland.. he told me the best way to cook ANY fish was to just plain boil it.. not broil,, but boil...<br /><br />than once it's on your plate add the sause's / butters / fried onions/ ect.. <br /><br />no what...??? he's right...!!

FLATHEAD

Captain

Roscoe, any kind you want, even cooked walleye thisaway. :D

muskyone

i'm thinking i'm going to start keeping some fish from now on went fishing last year almost every day and never brought home one and yes i did get some