Yet Another Problem: Stuck In Neutral?? Pics Added

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so I took my boat out today for an evening run. It started great and ran great, for a while.:mad: While at WOT, the boat's speed decreased, and the tachometer was still at WOT range. Basically, I lost my gears, forward and reverse. I shut the engine off, jumped in the water, and had my fiancee put it at WOT forward. Prop is locked into gear. I then have her put it in reverse. Prop is locked into gear now the opposite way. The prop is locking into gear, but it will not engage when the engine is on. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for the advice.

In case it does not show up in my signature, 92 MerCruiser 3.0L Alpha One Gen II.

Last edited:

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yet Another Problem: Stuck In Neutral??

If the gears are engaging I would look at the prop hub. Hopefully its not a coupler issue.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If it`s not overheating, pull the prop,borrow another, or scribe a line across the inner hub area and retest.
On land with the key IN YOUR POCKET, shift into fwd, have someone watch the shaft where it enters the motor, stand on a blade and try to turn it.
prop moves and shaft dosent: drive issue
shaft moves: coupler issue

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

On land with the key IN YOUR POCKET,

And battery turned off/removed...

wow that would be a really bad day if that went wrong....

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the quick replies, one thing I forgot to add: yesterday, I also took the boat out, great ride, no issues. However, when I returned, as I was flushing the motor, I hear a sound in the lower unit sounding like metal clanging. It was just a slight vibration, as the boat was in neutral, but I do not believe it was something you should normally hear. Could it have something to do with a low level of lower unit oil?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

How low are we talking?
44593f1f.jpg

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure yet, got back at dark and did not have time to look. I will check tomorrow if possible and let you know.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately I was unable to go by and check it today, got off work late and it was storming once I got off. One more thing I wanted to add though: first off, by no means am I an expert, which is why the people on this site are such a huge help, as most of you are experts, or have experienced something similar in the past. But, if gears were stripped, wouldn't I be able to hear a God-awful grinding or something while putting it into gear? Or would it possibly catch every couple of seconds? I mean, when the boat is running, and I put it in gear, the only thing that happens is the engine revs. I would just think that if it was grinded gears there would be audible evidence. Like I said, I am NO expert, just asking.

Bondo

Staff member

I would just think that if it was grinded gears there would be audible evidence. Like I said, I am NO expert, just asking.

Ayuh,... Anything is Possible..... Drain abit of Oil out of it,+ Look...

I think the Issue is your Prop,... or maybe the Coupler...
The Noise you heard was probably normal, other than you were sniffing for a Problem...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But, if gears were stripped, wouldn't I be able to hear a God-awful grinding or something while putting it into gear?

Nope, not normally, they go from gears to smooths very quickly. The do make noise when the first go, but if that happens at speed, you probably wouldn't hear it. Then, at low speeds, they are gone. No noise either.

You can pull the top cap on the drive (4 bolts needing a 3/8" 12 point socket) and look at the pinion gear. Your question will be answered.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don S. The top cap you speak of, are those the four bolts that are surrounding the dip stick for the lower unit oil?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There is no dip stick on a merc drive

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

My outdrive has three screws (or plugs) to check the lower unit oil. The third one is on top of the outdrive, and when you unscrew it, there is a dipstick that must be about two to three inches long. Sound familiar, or am I looking at something wrong?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Don S. The top cap you speak of, are those the four bolts that are surrounding the dip stick for the lower unit oil?

Yes

There is no dip stick on a merc drive
The early 91 and 92 and some 93's had dipsticks and no reservoir.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Don, thanks for the correction
Never saw one on a gen II, but I looked it up and it does show one.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Don S, please pardon my lack of knowledge. A 3/8" 12 point socket, is that another special MerCruiser tool? Could not find one and the guy at Auto Zone thought I was speaking Chinese when I brought it up to him.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

must have been a chineese counter person. It`s a standard socket .
only instead of "6 point" that looks like the head of a bolt, this one had 12 points.
sears, napa,snap-on,, or any store that carries a line of tools should carry a line of 12 point sockets

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yet Another Problem: Stuck In Neutral?? Pics Added

Sorry it took so long, I was just able to get to it today. Here are some pictures of the gears of the outdrive:

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/ShaneCarrollBoat/

To my untrained eye, I can't see anything that looks too bad, maybe someone can offer advice. Now, the one thing that strikes me as odd, is the fact that the gear on the bottom of the housing is not connecting on the drive-shaft gear(?). The pictures are not the clearest, I apologize for that, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for the help.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I forgot to add a couple items in my last post, now I did not have to drain any lower unit oil from that area, it was empty already. I guess that reservoir is supposed to be full? Also, it kind of strikes me odd in the sense that you have three drain screws for the lower unit oil, the third being the dipstick on top of the cover, yet you're only supposed to fill it from the bottom? Would it be feasible just to take cover off and fill it that way? Also, there are two separate "reservoirs" inside this housing, what is the stern-most one supposed to hold? Water? Thank you for your help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You need a new outdrive . The damage shown is from a loss of drive oil
Who was the last person to change or service the drive prior to your calamity on the lake..Outdrives (except OMC) drain and fill from the bottom ONLY.
the top plug/dipstick is to allow you to drain the oil by allowing air in.
check www.sterndrive.cc