1965 johnson starting question

stevensmithnc

Seaman
The motor has a big wiring harness running to a metal control box and also some wires branch off to an ignition switch with a key. The control box is a mess and rusted pretty bad....... What do i really need to get this motor running as far as wiring goes.(when i say control box i dont mean the throttle control box, i have that as well and its all connected and hooked up.

Homedad

Cadet
Re: 1965 johnson starting question

The motor has a big wiring harness running to a metal control box and also some wires branch off to an ignition switch with a key. The control box is a mess and rusted pretty bad....... What do i really need to get this motor running as far as wiring goes.(when i say control box i dont mean the throttle control box, i have that as well and its all connected and hooked up.

I'm assuming your talking about the box with the solenoid in it. Your battery and ignition switch are connected to this. If it is rusted and or corroded try cleaning the posts and connectors. The solenoid may need to be replaced depending on the corrosion and rust. Remember what wires go where when disconnecting the box.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1965 johnson starting question

What HP and model? If it's a 40 it might look like this.

Attachments

• 1958-1961 35-40 hp without generator - Small.jpg
    1958-1961 35-40 hp without generator - Small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0