BEST LURES & BAIT FOR SNOOK

silverking

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Guys!!!<br />Just to ask for some feedback about wich is the very best lure &/or bait available to catch a really BIG SNOOK!!! :eek: <br />(P.S: I´ll be fishing on salt water)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: BEST LURES & BAIT FOR SNOOK

If you want REALLY BIG then ya gotta get live bait cause lures won't cut it.. Not that you can't catch big snook on lures, but I would say that the majority of big snook are caught on live bait..<br /><br /> Get yourself some big live greenies, mullet, or sand perch and if your fishing near a freshwater spillway or flood gate a large freshwater shad will also do the trick...<br /><br />Match the bait to the area you are fishing... If there are mullet in the area use mullet and so on & so forth..

Fishbusters

Ensign

From what I know of it live bait is the ticket. Aside from what was mentioned above some of what is commonly called shiners which is any of a number of silver sided S/W baitfish, pinfish and even a jumbo shrimp although you might get a lot of nuscance bites on the shrimp. I also am given to understand the realy big snook don't hang in the mangroves and such but hang more in the deeper water.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

I caught a few fairly large snook in the mangroves (IN DECEMBER, at that!! 45*)<br /><br />There were 3 that were 30" plus, all on Ft. De Soto state park. I know that isn't a huge snook, but it's not bad (I'm a texan, so ANY snook is a good snook, lol).<br /><br />I caught all three of them on artificial...I was actually catching the smaller ones on live bait. I know it's odd, but just giving my 2 cents!<br />Shawn

silverking

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot guys, I,ll inform you about the results of my fishing trip.<br />Be well!!

bonitaboy

Seaman Apprentice

This one works for me quite often.Take a large black and silver bomber lure and take your fishing line and hook it over one hook of the first set of treble hooks,yes intentionally,and cast as normal but do a slow retrieve and then stop and then a slow retrieve and stop.It resemles a injured mullet retrieving it like that.I have caught several 25# plus snook using this method.I discovered it quite by accident casting on a windy day and the lure ended up like that so I just reeled it in normally and caught a 18# snook.I had made about 30 casts in the same general area just prior to this and came up with nothing and then this happened.I thought it was just a fluke until in the next couple of casts I caught 1 more snook.Its worked many times when nothing else seems to.Go figure!!!