Old AQ125 has not run in years

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I got a free bayliner capri with an aq125 A volvo penta,
it just needed a starter, and has not run in years (4-5)
so I got a starter, drained the gas and put in fresh, put oil in the cylinders,new plugs and points, still no go.
so I have 2 questions to start:
1,where are the #1 cylinder and distributer tower located,
2, why does gas pool in the intake manifold, is that normal?

thanks to all in advance

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Old AQ125 has not run in years

Hi,
I got a free bayliner capri with an aq125 A volvo penta,
it just needed a starter, and has not run in years (4-5)
so I got a starter, drained the gas and put in fresh, put oil in the cylinders,new plugs and points, still no go.
so I have 2 questions to start:
1,where are the #1 cylinder and distributer tower located,
2, why does gas pool in the intake manifold, is that normal?

thanks to all in advance

First cylindar is at front of engine. Firing order 1,3,4,2 on my distributer cap the first cylinder tower is the the lower left one, may be different from yours though.

I know when u pump the throttle it squirts out the booster jet (looks like an upside down J) and it will pool till u start it or it dries up. If there is a lot then u need to probably clean/rebuild the carb up as its leaking into the engine. Also make sure your not getting gas into the clear tube running from the pump to the carb, this indicates a faulty pump. Also on the sides of the carb theres a couple brass bolts, one by the pump for the booster jet if u remove it there is a screen on the bolt to help filter some of the gas. These are simple as pie carbs to rebuild. Assuming it still has the single barrel solex on it. Good luck those are one heck of an engine, a lil cold blooded and they run hot about 180-190

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

These are good engines, easy to work on, but getting the parts can be a PITA sometimes. Mine had a bunch of cooling issues with the heat exchanger and accompanying cooling piping.

Hard starting cold engine at times at least when I had the points. I went to electronic ignition several years ago and have not had that problem since.

You may be flooding the carb- the upside down J shaped jet will squirt fuel each time you pump. My technique is - cold start- pump 3x then back off till a little more fuel than the Neutral position on throttle then turn on the key. Warm starts usually don't even need one pump.

good luck,

Joe

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses and advise.
Just a few more things for clarification,
First I know nothin bout rebuildin carb, but it is a one barrel solix so its a good time to learn.
I did not do a compression check, but the cylenders did a great job of blowing oil all over the seats After I put it in the plug holes! does that help?
Please excuse my ignorance but where do I look for timing marks?
And an intresting note perhaps someone could enlighten me on,
If I call the back cylinder #one,and use one particular distributer tower, it acts like it wants to start,
if I call the front cylinder #1 (and I belive you all that it is) and use the opposite tower,it wants to start ( like it should)
is that normal?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not too up on timing as i dont have the right equiptment but i will take a stab at it.

Correct me if im wrong on this procedure. To check to make sure that your firing the correct order and got the wires right. Remove #1 spark plug, put finger over the hole and crank the engine (coil unhooked of course) once it feels like it gonna blow your finger off this is the compresion stroke, look at where the rotor is it should be towards the 1st tower for the #1 cylander, if its say pointing to the another tower say 3rd cylander than either the distributer is out of whack or timing is way off.

Timing marks should be on the pully on the bottom, above it is a a plate with markings on it, with a strobe light it should read around 6deg btdc (again correct me if im wrong) The plate also holds the sea water pump.

If your gonna rebuild the carb get yourself a kit, about 40 bucks or so on ebay. Its a solex PA1 44 down draft. Unless the carb has been changed out.

captmello

Captain

it just needed a starter

Brother, I hear ya.

Have a look at this thread, shows firing order. #1 cylinder is towards the front of the boat.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=318002&highlight=volvo+firing+order

Thanks to Don S for the diagram.

If you have never set the timing on an engine, find someone who has. Its easy but takes some technique, just like anything.;)

Go to this link and type in aq125 in the engine type box. you'll find some stuff there.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/publication_search.htm

Like bubba said, compression test before too much money is spent on this "free boat"

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Few more things to check. 1. Check ohm resistance on coil. When u change points out you have to redo dwell and timing (or so im told). Make sure plugs are gapped right if memory serves me right its a .028-.031 gap, bosch W6dc or equiv NGK 733 is whats in mine. Do the compression test, these engines run high compression numbers. If its too low its not gonna start. Pretty much any auto place sells compression tester or u can make your own. Remove spark plug install the adapter and crank.

Those are just a few of my ideas, im kinda newb when it comes to marine engines, atleast the marine part. So take my advice however u want to, i dont think a lot of people listen to much to what I say.

Oh and on Dons picture in that post capt. mello mentioned (smart guy btw same with Don S.) if you flip it so cyl 1 is at the front that is how my distributer and firing order is setup

3 4

1 2

airmail

Seaman

This is the same motor I have. This is also my first boat. I have had it for about 8 years. Mine too sat for many years before I got it. I'm a auto mechanic. The motor and carbs are the same as in a car. The accelerator pump is a little different but other then that everything is the same. If you are not a mechanic I would advise you find one that will help you. The carbs are very simple but after they sit for years the small holes for idle and fuel can corrode close and you really can't tell. Some of these holes are very very small. It took me a while to figure out my problem and I'm a award winning mechanic. I got a very good price on this boat because the last owner could not figure out the starting and running problems. Timing on this engine is very easy for someone who knows what they are doing. Once you get that figured out and you have spark you can check on the carb. If you have spark and compression you can crank it over and see what happens. If no start then pull the plugs. If they are wet the carb might be flooding fuel because of a stuck float. Tap on the carb bowl with a wrench and see if you can get it to loosen up. If that doesn't work you will have to take the carb apart and clean everything out and open up all the orifices. Don't make the offices any bigger them they are. Just clean them out. You might not need a carb kit if you are careful. If the plugs don't get wet when you try to start it you can shoot a little either in the carb and see if the motor will start. If it does thats good but you will still need to clean out the carb. Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out.

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for everybodys help, I am gonna start with a compression check, and go from there.
the link to repair manual is very helpful, but is 131 the same as an AQ125
thanks again, Doc

captmello

Captain

Thanks for everybodys help, I am gonna start with a compression check, and go from there.
the link to repair manual is very helpful, but is 131 the same as an AQ125
thanks again, Doc

131 is not the same, but the firing order is. thats why I linked you too it. Here's a link to a thread with your manuals. thanks again to Don S.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=316429

Let us know what your compression numbers are.

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all, especialy Mello and Don S
if all oes well with weather, day job and wifes attitude, I will be cheking compression this evening. :D

my capri

Recruit

Hi Doc, I'm in the same situation you are. About a month ago I bought a Capri for almost nothing. Owner passed away and the relatives didn't know the history. But, it had been sitting for a lond period of time. I know my way around engines and electrical stuff. Here's what I've replaced so far: Battery, Coil, spark plugs, Fuel pump ( it was squirting fuel up that clear tube). The dwell should be set to 62˚ and the timing set to 10˚ BTDC. I just ran a compression test and he's what I got:
#1 150 lbs
#2 145 lbs
#3 145 lbs
#4 150 lbs
Don't know if these are good numbers or not, but you can compare to what you get.

Good Luck,

Wayne

warlock73

Cadet

A lot of good advice from these guys. I have the same motor and drive on an 82. I am restoring it. From my experience its best to start with the simple things so as not to get involved in the expense issue before hand. It has been sitting, so start with the carb. Check to see if all the specs are correct via the Volvo manual, idle screw, etc just to have a working reference. Spray the carb out good and well. Check gaps and clean plugs,replace if need be. All wires, no corrosion or bare wires. I had a problem with the starter coil. Hard thing to diagnose.

airmail

Seaman

Freeboats, One question: In your first post you stated you bought a new starter motor. Did you buy a Marine starter? A automotive starter and a boat starter are different. The shielding inside are different. You don't want any sparks where gas fumes can collect. Just thought I'd ask.

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Well, lets say they told me it was a marine starter, I hope so cause I hate blowing up realy bad.
so, I had a buddy drop off his compression tester while I was at work yesterday, I got home all exited to test. and the stem was to short(unless I take off the exust manifold, but that seems conterproductive at this point in time)
So now I have 2 questions.
can I get a tester at autozone for a 20 dollar bill
will my life always be so difficult!?!?!?!:confused:
thanks, doc

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure on the price of the tester at autozone. Harbor freight has them for 29 and i know a lot of people that use them. depending on the tester he has you might have to take the hose off and get the plug into the spark plug hole and get the hose back on. Or go buy an adapter you might be able to get it into a sparkplug wrench and try that way.
At the very least its always a good idea to check and see if your manifold is plugged up and rotted out. I'm replacing mine this year, or atleast the gaskets anyway if the manifold is good. I do mostly fresh water with a bit of salt water fishing to get salmon and crab.

For as long as you own a boat life will be difficult. But once you get it running then its worth it with all the family fun and taking the kids fishing. Remember BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand
The 2 best times of owning a boat are when u first buy it and when you sell it. :)

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dunno about Autozone either for the compression tester. I got mine on Ebay for about $20

freeboats

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I got a tester on the way home. i figure I'll be able to use it on all the free boats I get!
numbers don't look good
cyl dry wet
4 25 90
3 30 70
2 30 50
1 30 60
any ideas??? thanks, doc:(

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ouch! I would hope for at least 100 PSI on all four. Unless the heads (valves or valve guides) are bad, you're looking at a rebuild.

I keep meaning to check mine. I bought the tester to get numbers for selling it, but I have been on my other boat every weekend for a month.

I'll try to get some comparison numbers for you this afternoon. Mine runs pretty strong for an '83. I've always been curious......

captmello

Captain

I think the fact that the numbers more than double is a sign that the rings/cylinders are bad. May have rusty cylinder walls from sitting as well.