Cayo Costa - Sunday, June 5th

SWFLTom

Cadet
I'm heading over to Cayo Costa this coming Sunday with the wife, kids, mom, stepdad, and aunt. Any other people in the area want to meet up?<br /><br />Can anyone give me some good gps coordinates or waypoints for areas to beach? I've never been over there, so this will be quite an adventure. We plan on putting in at Placida, unless anyone here has a better recommendations.<br /><br />Tom<br />email: swfltom at iburn.com

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cayo Costa - Sunday, June 5th

I'm not sure if we'll get out or not. I was out of town last weekend but I heard all the crazy folks were there. Sounds like I missed a good time from what they say.

SWFLTom

Cadet

Dhadley, can you tell me where abouts to go when I get there? I keep hearing about "going to the bay". <br /><br />Thanks!<br />Tom

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When we "go down the bay" we're usually going to one of the shacks in Bull or Turtle Bay. To go to Cayo or Johnson Shoals you just go to Boca Grande pass and head south along the beach. Everythings changed since the storms so watch out for the sandbars. <br /><br />We just go south until you see a cut that goes in behind the beach. That opens up to a big lagoon. We ususlly park on the inside so you dont have to deal with the waves. You can still anchor on the beach side. Just anchor out from the bow and let the boat drift back until you get shallow enough to get out comfortably. Just keep the boat anchored so its always headed into the waves. Use lots of line.<br /><br />Even south of there are real nice beaches. Basically just anywhere there arent others or until you find some friends. Coming back you can still head south and go around the island and come back up the Intercoastal. Different scenery and a nice ride.<br /><br />Of course you can always stop at Cabbage Key on the way back and get your $12 cheeseburger. Since youre new to the area, thats required. Thats where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheesburger in Paradise". Doesnt help pay the check but its interesting. Oh -- your first time there youre also required to tape a dollar bill to the wall.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oh, if you buy a chart make sure its newer than last August. Charley made the older ones a bit inaccurate. Generally speaking its the same but details are different.

SWFLTom

Cadet

I've been to Cabbage Key, neat place. Infact I've got a great story about Jimmy Buffet, the dollars, and a friend who drank with Buffet. If we ever meet up, I'll share the story with ya ;-)<br /><br />3 Years ago, I took the wife on a private charter from International Sailing School. I traded some computer work and web design for 3 days and 2 nights out on the Harbor, ICW, and Gulf. We stayed just off of Cabbage Key one night. We didn't get a cheeseburger because they weren't serving food for some reason at that time. Ended up just eating on the boat. We had a great time though.<br /><br />I was thinking about stopping over at Water Proof Charts and picking up an updated chart. They are customers of ours and I've been meaning to stop in and say hi anyway.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good plan. It sure doesnt look promising this weekend though. My buddy and I were hoping to get out early Sunday but it aint lookin good!

SWFLTom

Cadet

Agreed. I'm keeping my eye on the sky and watching the radar and weather reports.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Man, the weather was great this morning and I was wishing I had went. Just about then it started raining.<br /><br />Did you make it there? The bay was as flat as a pancake about noon when we drove across the bridge.

SWFLTom

Cadet

I didn't. I didn't want to get caught out there in a storm.<br /><br />We'll try again this weekend maybe.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Well, I'm sure a bunch from here will be going. we wont. we have to go to Gainesville to my nephew's first b'day. The following weekend is the couples tournament out of Burnt Store Marina.