My 1972 evinrude is idleing too high

BROOKLYN

Recruit
I have a 1972 evinrude 100 h.p that i purchased from and old man who had it on a pontoon in fresh water only , new power pack , pump, i took it to get the carbs rebuilt . The mech. fired it up and the motor idles at about 3000 rpm and cant get it to idle down , he has tried manually to push back and with the cable disconnected and still cant get it to safe idle ! he has checked timing and fly wheel pin > what has he over looked or not looked at yet ? your help is needed.
thank you

BROOKLYN

Recruit
Re: My 1972 evinrude is idleing too high

WOW ! i thought i was going to get some suggestion here on my issue with this outboard ? Has everyone gone fishing ? the tech. said its sucking in air from some where ? any clues ???

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, If he is a credible tech he should know where to look for any air leak that would draw in excess fuel.
Gasket behind Carb
Intake gasket

Any deeper into the chamber and it would stop pulling fuel.

Did you or he look to see if the Throttle butterflies are closing all the way at idle?

saturnjim

Cadet

You said the carbs were rebuilt. Check the fuel to the carb hose it may be too long and holding the idle arm down.. Just did the fuel line replacement today and had a fast idle until I cut off more hose lol good luck

BROOKLYN

Recruit

Looks like i just wasted a bunch of money on this motor ! the two guy's Ive taken this outboard to have both come to the same problem << they don't know how to fix this dinosaur ! the last guy cut all the wires that go under the fly wheel and i don't know what goes where ! i have two same motors and they both are wired different ? I'm determine to fix both of these motors ! they both ran like rockets on my 16ft. bayliner ! one wont stay one and the other wont idle down ! I know these motors are old and parts are hard to come by but i cant see my self junking them ! they both have great compressing and strong spark. HELP ! :(