boats will explode!

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
fwiw,...on smith lake, alabama, on memorial day when we heard a muffled POOF off in the distance down the inlet we were on. didn't think much about it then but later heard that a family was in a boat and smelled the strong odor of gasoline. they went over to a dock and let the women and children out, but three men stayed in boat. the operator must have turned off the boat to do this and when he hit the starter again the boat exploded. one fellow is in birmingham burn center with ~80 to 90% burns on him. don't know anything about the maintenance of this boat or what kind of parts they may have on the motor. i see many post here asking about using car parts on boat motors. some items you can safely use and others you cannot. and get intothe habit of using the blower before you start the engine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: boats will explode!

When I arrive at the launch ramp, not only do I turn on my blower, but I look and smell in the engine compartment to see if everything looks right before I even back the trailer into the water.

haulnazz15

Captain

You should have the blower running pretty much any time you aren't at a cruise speed or at least on plane.

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a good reminder to all of us to Always keep safety a top priority

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is far from the first bilge explosion I've heard of. In fact more than one was at a fuel dock with other boaters around. For the sake of all passengers that could have been seriously injured that maybe the marine industry should direct away from boat designs that lend to this. Passengers trust the operator knows what their doing, but history has proven it not always the case with these explosions. Ford Pinto's were explosion hazards by design even though the operators used a much care as possible.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

maybe the marine industry should direct away from boat designs that lend to this

That would only be possible by eliminating gas engines in powerboats.

Jacking up the cost of ownership (diesels cost more) would kill an industry that strugles just to survive.

Sounds more like proper training and education are needed for owner/opperators rather than forcing the manufacturer to idiot proof everything.

As soon as you make the boat safer, I guarantee there will be a "better" idiot out there who still mangaes to blow one up.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I should have included Outboards as a possible safety solution.

Of course they are expensive also.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with you 180shabah, even though we live in a society that expects the manufactureres of ANYTHING to have everything idiot proof. I think we should keep all the idiots from owning anything that can hurt themselves or anyone else.

People need to know what they are doing and how to operate there equipment before they should be allowed to own it, maybe there should be a license to operate a boat just like they have for a car or motorcycle and have refresher courses everyyear. that way only the serious boaters will be on the lakes and leaving the idiots at home wishing they werent idots at home watching the grass grow.

Just my 2 sense, Happy and Safe boating to everyone

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have included Outboards as a possible safety solution.

Of course they are expensive also.

You connected the dots, excellent. As far a being more "expensive" compare the hospital bills for burn care to other powerplant options.